Date:	Fri, 17 Oct 2008 14:33:11 +0200
From:	Lars Täuber <taeuber@...w.de>
To:	"Manish Katiyar" <mkatiyar@...il.com>
Cc:	linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: undelete still opened file

Hi Manish,

"Manish Katiyar" <mkatiyar@...il.com> schrieb:
> > I thought about something in connection with /proc/####/fd/# .
> > Is there any chance to get the file back to normal?
>
> To some extent yes......

yes I know I could do this:

cat /proc/####/fd/32 > /dir/to/new/file.ext

but then all changes made by the process afterwards are not in the copy.

> You can try the /proc/****/fd/** approach . It has worked for me in
> past......but that was for a running binary.

Of course there is a process still running and works with a file discriptor to the deleted file.

Onother question:
Is the space of the file on the underlying block device already marked as free? Or does this happen after all processes have closed all file descriptors pointing to the file?

I really want to undo the deletion. (get a link/name connected to the root inode of the file again)
Is there a way to do this?

Thanks
Lars