Date:	Tue, 11 Nov 2008 11:09:10 -0500
From:	"Michael B. Trausch" <mike@...usch.us>
To:	Andreas Dilger <adilger@....com>
Cc:	linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: "tune2fs -I 256" runtime---can it be interrupted safely?

On Fri, 07 Nov 2008 14:16:43 -0700
Andreas Dilger <adilger@....com> wrote:

> If you have time, after the backup is done could you please re-try the
> "tune2fs -I 256" operation and let it go for a while, then "ltrace -p
> {pid}" on the process from another window to see what it is doing (if
> anything). You may need to have the "e2fsprogs-debuginfo" RPM
> installed to get useful data there.
>
> After grabbing some of the data with ltrace, also run "strace -p
> {pid}" to get disk IO information, and finally "gdb -p {pid}" and
> grab a stack trace with "bt", let it continue for a few seconds with
> "c", and then CTRL-C again and grab another stack trace with "bt".

Ugh, I forgot to do the gdb backtraces.  *headdesk*  I will do another
run with them later.

I do have an ltrace up and online at:

  http://fd0man.theunixplace.com/tune2fs.ltrace.bz2

The bzip2 file is 44 MB, and the uncompressed text is _huge_ (about 3
GB).  This is a two hour run of "tune2fs -I 256 /dev/sdb" on an
external 250 GB (235 GiB) drive formatted with the ext3 filesystem.
I aborted the tune2fs run after 2 hours, though I am sure it would have
run for far longer.  Hopefully, this will give some insight as to what
the problem might be.

I _was_ hoping that it would make a difference in runtime that the
filesystem was empty (I did this right after "mkfs.ext3 -I
128 /dev/sdb"), but it was still going very slowly...

	--- Mike

--
My sigfile ran away and is on hiatus.
http://www.trausch.us/

Download attachment "signature.asc" of type "application/pgp-signature" (198 bytes)