Date:	Thu, 18 Dec 2008 01:55:24 -0700
From:	Andreas Dilger <adilger@....com>
To:	Theodore Tso <tytso@....edu>
Cc:	"Aneesh Kumar K.V" <aneesh.kumar@...ux.vnet.ibm.com>,
	Ext4 Developers List <linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: BUG: unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at	00000000
 [ext4_new_meta_blocks+0x7c/0xb7]

On Dec 17, 2008  06:47 -0500, Theodore Ts'o wrote:
> I've played with this a bit, and changing extents.c to pass in
> EXT4_MB_HINT_DATA for directories does work, although it's a toss-up
> regarding exactly how effective it really is.  It does seem to reduce
> fragmentation of directories, but I'm concerned that it might impact
> the long-term performance of the filesystem as it ages.

How can reducing fragmentation of the directories hurt long-term performance?

> My current thinking is that we should consider changing the block
> allocation algorithms as follows:
>
> 1) Change the inode allocator to strongly avoid (unless no other
> inodes are available) block groups where the block group number is a
> even multiple of the flex blockgroup size.  The reasoning behind this
> is these bg's have a fewer number of blocks given that the inode table
> blocks are all allocated there, so they are much more likely to
> overflow into other bg's when used.  So we should try to avoid these
> bg's by the inode allocator unless there is no other choice.

With flex_bg does it really matter at all where the blocks for an inode
are located?  There will ALWAYS be a seek from reading the inode until
the first data block is read, so I don't see any significance to whether
the inode's "group" has more free blocks or not.

> 2) Directory blocks for inodes in the flex bg metagroup should be
> allocated in this first bg of the flexbg metagroup.  This keeps the
> filesystem metadata together, and keeps directory blocks (which tend
> to be much longer-lived that data blocks, especially for source/build
> directories) in different block allocation regions, which is a good
> thing.  It may be that all metadata blocks (i.e., also long symlinks
> and extent-tree blocks) should also be located here, although that's
> probably less important, simply because there are so few of such
> blocks in most ext4 filesystems.

I do agree with this, and if (1) is just a mechanism to ensure that there
is space for (2) then I would tend to agree.

This would also allow implementation of my long-held idea of using LVM
to put some parts of the filesystem on one type of device (e.g. RAID-1
and/or SSD) for metadata, and the rest (data blocks) on RAID-5/6.  I had
always thought of doing this with the first N of 128 MB for each group
on the fast storage.

Putting the first of each N whole groups on the fast storage would be
equivalent, and probably less work to configure.  Having the allocator
also put other metadata there (index and directory blocks) is a bonus.

Cheers, Andreas
--
Andreas Dilger
Sr. Staff Engineer, Lustre Group