Date:	Fri, 06 Feb 2009 17:43:21 -0500
From:	Ric Wheeler <rwheeler@...hat.com>
To:	"J.D. Bakker" <jdb@...tmaker.nl>
CC:	Ric Wheeler <rwheeler@...hat.com>, linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Recovering a damaged ext4 fs - revisited.

>>> http://lartmaker.nl/ext4/dmesg.txt
>>> http://lartmaker.nl/ext4/lspci.txt
>>> http://lartmaker.nl/ext4/proc-mdstat.txt
>>> http://lartmaker.nl/ext4/proc-partitions.txt
>
> JDB.

RAID6 is not that new, but it is newer than MD raid5. Does RAID5/6
handle the write barriers correctly these days? I think that barriers
are enabled only for RAID1 which means that your disks might be holding
up lots of volatile data that will go "poof" if you power off or reboot.

You can "fix" this by disabling the write cache on your drives, but you
will have a performance hit (at least for S-ATA drives).

Ric