Date:	Sat, 22 Aug 2009 19:21:15 +0200
From:	Christian Fischer <Christian.Fischer@...terngraphics.com>
To:	linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org
Cc:	Eric Sandeen <sandeen@...deen.net>
Subject: ext4 state user question

Hello,

I have not found a ext4-user list or something similar, that's why my user
question goes to this development list.

I had a lot of file system crashes with xfs the last time, Eric knows that, if
he remembers.

I look for an alternate file system for our new production servers, and I need
to use 2.6.29.4 for the moment due to all systems running on xen, and as far
as I know 2.6.29.4 xen patched ist the best solution at the moment.

I've updated all xen kernels from 2.6.18 (which is the latest official xen
kernel) to 2.6.29.4 because xfs tried to write to the superblock to run into
the next bug, a radix_tree problem with xfs over nfs. I've backported 2.6.30
patches to avoid the problem, that runs at the moment.

But I don't feel like waiting for the next crash.

I was never before as unshure as now which file system is to choose, IMO I
have the choice between zfs on solaris, xfs or ext4.
Zfs is not really ported to linux, the stable time of xfs seems gone, and ext4
is relatively young.

What do you think, is ext4 with 2.6.29.4 ready for productive work and to
prefer over xfs at the moment?

Best Regards
Christian