Date:	Wed, 26 Aug 2009 07:58:40 -0400
From:	Ric Wheeler <rwheeler@...hat.com>
To:	Pavel Machek <pavel@....cz>
CC:	david@...g.hm, Theodore Tso <tytso@....edu>,
	Florian Weimer <fweimer@....de>,
	Goswin von Brederlow <goswin-v-b@....de>,
	Rob Landley <rob@...dley.net>,
	kernel list <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
	Andrew Morton <akpm@...l.org>, mtk.manpages@...il.com,
	rdunlap@...otime.net, linux-doc@...r.kernel.org,
	linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org, corbet@....net
Subject: Re: [patch] document flash/RAID dangers

On 08/26/2009 07:21 AM, Pavel Machek wrote:

>>> Exactly. And now I'm trying to get that documented, so that people
>>> don't do it and still expect their fs to be consistent.
>>>
>> The problem I have is that the way you word it steers people away from
>> RAID5 and better data integrity. Your intentions are good, but your text
>> is going to do considerable harm.
>>
>> Most people don't intentionally drop power (or have a power failure)
>> during RAID rebuilds....
>>
> Example I seen went like this:
>
> Drive in raid 5 failed; hot spare was available (no idea about
> UPS). System apparently locked up trying to talk to the failed drive,
> or maybe admin just was not patient enough, so he just powercycled the
> array. He lost the array.
>
> So while most people will not agressively powercycle the RAID array,
> drive failure still provokes little tested error paths, and getting
> unclean shutdown is quite easy in such case.
> 								Pavel

Then what we need to document is do not power cycle an array during a
rebuild, right?

If it wasn't the admin that timed out and the box really was hung (no
drive activity lights, etc), you will need to power cycle/reboot but
then you should not have this active rebuild issuing writes either...

In the end, there are cascading failures that will defeat any data
protection scheme, but that does not mean that the value of that scheme
is zero. We need to be get more people to use RAID (including MD5) and
try to enhance it as we go. Just using a single disk is not a good thing...

ric

Ric