Date:	Thu, 15 Oct 2009 10:27:25 -0700
From:	Mingming <cmm@...ibm.com>
To:	Jiaying Zhang <jiayingz@...gle.com>
Cc:	ext4 development <linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org>,
	Michael Rubin <mrubin@...gle.com>,
	Manuel Benitez <rickyb@...gle.com>,
Subject: Re: ext4 DIO read performance issue on SSD

On Wed, 2009-10-14 at 14:42 -0700, Jiaying Zhang wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 1:57 PM, Mingming <cmm@...ibm.com> wrote:

> >> Hmm, do you mean the filemap_write_and_wait_range() in
> >> __blockdev_direct_IO?
> >
> > yes, that's the one to flush the page cache before direct read.
> >
> I don't think that function is called with DIO_NO_LOCKING.

Oh, I mean the filemap_write_and_wait_range() in generic_file_aio_read()

> Also, if we no longer hold i_mutex lock during dio read, I think
> there is a time window that a buffer write can allocate an
> initialize block after dio read flushes page cache but
> before it calls get_block. Then that dio read can get that
> initialized block with stale data.

ah, I think it over, the key is prevent get_block() expose initialized
extent to direct read. concurrent buffered write to hole could result in
get_block() allocate blocks before direct IO read. That could be
addressed in a similar way we did for async direct IO write to hole...