Date:	Fri, 16 Oct 2009 15:15:53 -0400
From:	Theodore Tso <tytso@....edu>
To:	Jiaying Zhang <jiayingz@...gle.com>
Cc:	ext4 development <linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org>,
	Andrew Morton <akpm@...gle.com>,
	Michael Rubin <mrubin@...gle.com>,
	Manuel Benitez <rickyb@...gle.com>, Mingming <cmm@...ibm.com>,
Subject: Re: ext4 DIO read performance issue on SSD

On Fri, Oct 09, 2009 at 04:34:08PM -0700, Jiaying Zhang wrote:
> Recently, we are evaluating the ext4 performance on a high speed SSD.
> One problem we found is that ext4 performance doesn't scale well with
> multiple threads or multiple AIOs reading a single file with O_DIRECT.
> E.g., with 4k block size, multiple-thread DIO AIO random read on ext4
> can lose up to 50% throughput compared to the results we get via RAW IO.
>
> After some initial analysis, we think the ext4 performance problem is caused
> by the use of i_mutex lock during DIO read. I.e., during DIO read, we grab
> the i_mutex lock in __blockdev_direct_IO because ext4 uses the default
> DIO_LOCKING from the generic fs code. I did a quick test by calling
> blockdev_direct_IO_no_locking() in ext4_direct_IO() and I saw ext4 DIO read
> got 99% performance as raw IO.

Your diagnosis makes sense, and the test of using
blockdev_direct_IO_nol_locking() tends to confirm things, but before
we start surgery, there's a very easy way of confirming that i_mutex
is under contention.  Enable CONFIG_LOCK_STAT, do "echo 0> >
/proc/lock_stat" before running your benchmark, and then capture the
contents of /proc/lock_stat after running your benchmark.  For more
information see Documentation/lockstat.txt in the kernel sources.
It's always nice to grab before and after snapshots, and it's a handy
way of finding other contention points.

> That uninitialized extent will be marked as initialized at the
> end_io callback. We are wondering whether we can extend this idea to
> buffer write as well. I.e., we always allocate an uninitialized
> extent first during any write and convert it as initialized at the
> time of end_io callback. This will eliminate the need to hold
> i_mutex lock during direct read because a DIO read should never get
> a block marked initialized before the block has been written with
> new data.

Obviously this will only work for extent-mapped inodes.  So it means
complicating the callback code somewhat, but in theory, this should
work.

On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 06:27:12PM -0700, Jiaying Zhang wrote:
> Thinking about this again, I think there is another benefit to always
> allocate uninitialized blocks first in all kinds of write, including
> size-extending write.
>
> Currently, we avoid exposing stale data during size-extending
> write by adding the inode to the orphan list before changing the
> file size. This helps us with journaled ext4 because the journal
> guarantees that the on-disk orphan list will be updated first before
> data is written to disk and i_size is updated. But with non-journal ext4,
> we don't update orphan list during size-extending write because
> without a journal, there is no guarantee on the ordering of writes to disk.
> So if the system crashes after the on-disk i_size is updated but before
> data hits to disk (this is rare but can happen during fsync), we may
> end up exposing stale data with non-journal ext4.

Actually, that's not quite correct.  That's the plan for how works in
ext3's guarded mode (which hasn't been merged into mainline nor ported
to ext4), but in ext3 and ext4's ordered mode the way we avoid
exposing stale data is by forcing data blocks to disk before the
commit is allowed to complete.  You're right that either way, it doesn't
help you if you're not using a journal.  (This is also going to be a
problem in supporting TRIM/DISCARD, since we are depending on the
commit mechanism to determine when it's safe to send the TRIM command
to the block device --- but that's an separate issue.)

> I think allocating uninitialized extend first during such size-extending
> write and then converting the extend into initialized during end_io
> time can help close this security hole with non-journal ext4.

Well..... strictly speaking, using end_io won't guarantee that no
stale data will be avoided, since the end_io callback is called when
the data has been transfered to the disk controller, and not when data
has actually be written to iron oxide.  In other words, since there's
no barrier operation, there are no guarantees on a power drop.  Still,
it's certainly better than nothing, and it will make things much
better than they were previously.

By the way, something which would be worth testing is making sure that
direct I/O read racing with a buffered write with delayed allocation
works correctly today.  What should happen (although it may not be
what application programmers expect) is that direct I/O read from part
of a file which has just been written via buffered write with delayed
allocation enabled and the block has been't been allocated yet, the
direct I/O read should behave a read from a hole.  (XFS behaves the
same way; we don't gurantee cache coherence when direct I/O and
non-direct I/O is mixed.)

							- Ted