Date:	Mon, 19 Oct 2009 13:23:09 -0700
From:	Mingming <cmm@...ibm.com>
To:	Jiaying Zhang <jiayingz@...gle.com>
Cc:	ext4 development <linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org>,
	Andrew Morton <akpm@...gle.com>,
	Michael Rubin <mrubin@...gle.com>,
	Manuel Benitez <rickyb@...gle.com>
Subject: Re: ext4 DIO read performance issue on SSD

On Fri, 2009-10-16 at 12:44 -0700, Jiaying Zhang wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 16, 2009 at 11:56 AM, Mingming <cmm@...ibm.com> wrote:

> >> If I read the code correctly, dio->is_async is not set for file extending write:
> >>
> >>         /*
> >>          * For file extending writes updating i_size before data
> >>          * writeouts complete can expose uninitialized blocks. So
> >>          * even for AIO, we need to wait for i/o to complete before
> >>          * returning in this case.
> >>          */
> >>         dio->is_async = !is_sync_kiocb(iocb) && !((rw & WRITE) &&
> >>                 (end > i_size_read(inode)));
> >>

> > Ah... that's a little surprise to know. Async write to the end of file
> > is actually synchonous. That explains why ext3 async direct IO could
> > always expand inode i_size safely without having to worry about expose
> > stale data out.
> >
> > It would be better to fix this with end_io callback, user expects get
> > higher performance via async mode.
> >
> > But, these are seperate from removing i_mutex lock from direct IO read,
> > IMHO. The dio write to end of file won't extend inode size until the IO
> > is completed (AIO or non AIO mode). So if we remove the i_mutex lock
> > from the dio read,  in the case of parallel dio/buffered write to end of
> > file and direct io read, it won't expose updated inode's block mapping
> > tree to parallel direct IO read, as the i_size hasn't been changed yet.
> >
> > The only concern to remove the the lock from dio read path, is the
> > buffered write to the hole. Isn't it?
> >

> Hmm. Will we be safe between dio read and size-extending buffer
> write if we don't hold i_mutex lock during dio read but still allocating
> initialized blocks in size-extending buffer write? As I understand, we
> update file size in ext4_write_end. The buffer write have finished at
> this time but the changes are still in memory. Currently, we prevent
> dio read from reading stale data by calling filemap_write_and_wait_range()
> after holding the i_mutex lock in __blockdev_direct_IO(). If we no
> longer hold i_mutex during dio read, a buffer write can finish after
> a dio read calls filemap_write_and_wait_range() but before it calls
> get_block(). At the time that dio read calls get_block(), the i_size
> of the file has been updated, but the written data is still in memory,
> so it may read stale data.

If the page was dirtied after the direct read calling
filemap_write_and_wait_range(), then yes, there is window that file gets
extended and direct read sees the blocks being allocated. This window is
very smaller with delayed allocation, as data write out and and
allocation happens at the same time.

If the page was dirtied (ie. buffered write to that file) before the
direct IO read, filemap_write_and_wait_range() will write out that dirty
page and ensure block allocation/i_size happen all complete before get
back to direct IO read.

> I was thinking that we may change to call filemap_write_and_wait_range()
> after get_block() during dio read. This seems to eliminate the above
> problem.
 That would impact the performance, I think.