Date:	Wed, 4 Nov 2009 19:39:57 +0100
From:	fabian-buettner@....de
To:	linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Corrupt superblocks

Hello,

After updating my gentoo machine (new udev, lvm2) and rebooting, my initrd was
broken (i had CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED and CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATEDV2 activated)
and the new udev didn't like these settings.
So I received a warning regarding this issue. Unfortunately I had set the init
bootparameter to init=/sbin/bootchartd. And when i was returning from getting
a cup of coffee. Bootchartd was spamming my console telling me: No space left
on the device (or similar). When i was seeing this i had instantly a VERY bad
feeling about what was going on there.

So i put in the rescuecd, chrooted into my old system, built a new kernel
without these deprecated options, rebooted again.

This time fsck.ext4 was telling me: No such file or directory while trying to
open /dev/vg/root, the superblock could not be read.

That's the story how I managed to corrupt my superblock and probably also it's
backups.
I have run e2fsck -b for several times (with different superblock backup
locations), also did a fsck manually and got spammed by a LOT of "Group
descriptor checksum is invalid" warnings, but the fsck.ext4 error message
remained.

For now I have set my filesystem in /etc/fstab to 0 0, but i REALLY want to get
this fixed.

So i googled around and found this thread:
http://markmail.org/message/3w5tbyaiho7os4fr where some guy as a similar
problem.
Theodore Tso asked him to execute several commands, which i did too.
It would be great if someone with more experience than me could check those
files, unfortunately they are huge.
Here is the link to the three logs:
http://www.file-upload.net/download-1989316/dumpe2fsfab.tar.gz.html

Thanks in advance,