Date:	Fri, 06 Nov 2009 17:06:16 +0100
To:	linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Formatted/repartitioned wrong disk, arrgh!

Greg Freemyer wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 6, 2009 at 9:43 AM, Alexey Fisher
>> Do _not_ever_ change the disk after crush or what ever you did with it.
>> Make an image of your partition (dd if=/dev/you_partition
>> of=backup_of_partition) and try testdisk (photoreck) and/or sleuthkit.
>
> Totally agree with Alexey,

Yea, I agree too, now... I kinda did before as well, but I found a
promising article about how just to mkfs and fsck -b <backup superblock>
and then you were all set. But it turned out it wasn't as easy as that. :-(

 > but if the virtual drive was using a file
 > and not a partition or full drive, then you can just make a copy of
 > the virtual drive.  Then try to recover from the copy.  Make more
 > copies as you have problems, etc.

It is a full partition/driver, but I'm not 100% sure the virtual drive
is exactly the same size, since you can't select the entire disk when
adding it to a virtual machine, you have to type in XX MB/GB, and I
might have typed a different size this time around.

> The way the work is to scan all the sectors on the drive (of virtual
> drive) and look for file header signatures.  A lot of complex file
> types have those.  And then they either find the file length somehow
> from the internal file header, or they just grab x bytes of contiguous
> data after the header.

Yea, that's what I'm trying to do at the moment, but so far without much
luck.

Is there a specific signature for the superblocks and backups of those?
I suppose I could search for that signature. Maybe the re-partitioning
(by ESXi) has shifted the entire partition some blocks.

Regards
Jesper