Date:	Wed, 2 Dec 2009 20:04:26 +0100
From:	Jan Kara <jack@...e.cz>
To:	Mike Galbraith <gleep@....de>
Cc:	James Y Knight <foom@...m.net>, Jan Kara <jack@...e.cz>,
	LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>, linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org,
	npiggin@...e.de
Subject: Re: writev data loss bug in (at least) 2.6.31 and 2.6.32pre8 x86-64

On Tue 01-12-09 15:35:59, Jan Kara wrote:
> On Tue 01-12-09 12:42:45, Mike Galbraith wrote:

> > > Further testing shows that the filesystem type *does* matter. The bug does not exhibit when the test is run on ext2, ext4, vfat, btrfs, jfs, or xfs (and probably all the others too). Only, so far as I can determine, on ext3.
> >
> > I bisected it this morning.  Bisected cleanly to...
> >
> > 9eaaa2d5759837402ec5eee13b2a97921808c3eb is the first bad commit
>   OK, I've debugged it. This commit is really at fault. The problem is
> following:
>   When using writev, the page we copy from is not paged in (while when we
> use ordinary write, it is paged in). This difference might be worth
> investigation on its own (as it is likely to heavily impact performance of
> writev) but is irrelevant for us now - we should handle this without data
> corruption anyway.
  I've looked into why writev fails reliably the writes. The reason is that
iov_iter_fault_in_readable() faults in only the first IO buffer. Because
this is just 600 bytes big, following iov_iter_copy_from_user_atomic copies
only 600 bytes and block_write_end sets number of copied bytes to 0. Thus
we restart the write and do it one iov per iteration which succeeds. So
everything works as designed only it gets inefficient in this particular
case.

								Honza