Date:	Tue, 08 Dec 2009 18:43:10 +0200
From:	Iavor Stoev <iavor@...soft.com>
To:	linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Ext4 MAX journal size ?

Hello Andreas,

Thank you for your fast reply!

We use this setup for our backup servers.
We use rsync via SSH using hard links as backup technology; the backup
server is pulling the data from several servers.

The setup is 12x1TB disks in RAID6 128k stripe, using ext3 4k block +
lvm2 with the journal on Gigabyte I-RAM drive 1GB DDR400.
The server has 8GB RAM.

The journal mode is data.
The journal size is 400MB.

When we moved the journal on the external device we have gained like 20%
performance improvement with our backup.
I'm converting several servers to ext4 to see what will be the
performance improvement for our workload.

Do you have any suggestions regarding the journal size and the overall
file system setup?

Thank you again!

Iavor