Date:	Thu, 12 Aug 2010 15:51:30 +0100
From:	Adam Huffman <bloch@...durin.com>
To:	Eric Sandeen <sandeen@...hat.com>
Cc:	linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Problem with 15TB logical volume

On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 09:43:29AM -0400, Eric Sandeen wrote:

> > I've made a 15TB logical volume on a 21TB RAID6 iSCSI array.
> >
> > When I try to make an ext4 filesystem I see the following error:
> >
> > mke4fs -E stride=32 stripe-width=384 -i 65536 -j -v \
> > /dev/mapper/vg2md3000isata-homes2
> >
> > mke4fs 1.41.9 (22-Aug-2009)
> > mke4fs: invalid blocks count - /dev/mapper/vg2md3000isata-homes2
>

> You're not specifying the -E options correctly:
>
> [root@...t e2fsprogs]# misc/mke2fs.static -t ext4 -E stride=32 stripe-width=384 /mnt/test2/testdir/bigfile
> mke2fs 1.41.12 (17-May-2010)
> mke2fs.static: invalid blocks count - /mnt/test2/testdir/bigfile
>
> This works - you need comma-separated -E options:
>
> [root@...t e2fsprogs]# mke4fs -E stride=32,stripe-width=384 /mnt/test2/testdir/bigfile
> mke4fs 1.41.12 (17-May-2010)
> Filesystem label=
> OS type: Linux
> Block size=4096 (log=2)
> Fragment size=4096 (log=2)
> Stride=32 blocks, Stripe width=384 blocks
> 1006632960 inodes, 4026531840 blocks
>
> Without the comma, mkfs thinks you are trying to mkfs a device called
> "stripe-width=384" with a block count of "<devicename>"
>
> Odd eh ;)

Yes, thanks for that.  It's happy now.

> Perhaps echoing back the blocks count which it found to be invalid
> (in this case the devicename string) would make the failure more
> obvious...

Perhaps it could check for a clearly non-numeric input and report that?
Or maybe it's just me who'd do such a thing...

> > When i searched briefly yesterday, some documentation stated that the
> > filesystem limit was now 16TB, and some that the limit was much higher.
>
> Yep that should work.

Looking at
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/e2fsprogs/+bug/521648,
specifically Ted's comment, is it correct that 64-bit blocks support is
still at the early development stage?

Adam