Date:	Wed, 25 Aug 2010 12:22:22 -0700
From:	Vitali Lovich <vlovich@...il.com>
To:	linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org
Subject: question about i_dtime being used as an orphan list pointer

So I've run into this problem where the clock was reset into the 1970s
on my system, causing e2fsck to get confused & think a file I deleted
actually had an orphan list inode pointer stored in the i_dtime
instead of the deletion time, causing e2fsck to get all confused &
return an error code.

My current idea for a workaround is to clamp the value to midnight
2000 if get_seconds returns that, but I'm not really enamoured with
that idea.

Looking at this further, I made the following observations (please let
me know if I'm completely off base):

Even a value of midnight 2010 corresponds to a limit of only about 1
billion files (1 262 304 000).  Thus it seems if you delete a file on
a partition with more than a billion files, it will make e2fsck think
you've got a corrupt file-system even though you don't.

A slightly related question I have is if anyone knows whether i_dtime
is actually used as a timestamp for anything useful in kernel or
user-space?  Can I just set d_time to 0xffffffff when it's deleted
instead of giving it wall-clock time?

Thanks for any feedback,
Vitali