Date:	Mon, 27 Sep 2010 16:16:28 -0500
From:	Eric Sandeen <sandeen@...hat.com>
To:	Taras Glek <tglek@...illa.com>
CC:	Andreas Dilger <adilger.kernel@...ger.ca>,
	linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Minimizing fragmentation in ext4, fallocate not enough?

Taras Glek wrote:
> On 09/25/2010 10:26 AM, Eric Sandeen wrote:
>> Andreas Dilger wrote:

>>> Have you checked filefrag immediately after fallocating the file?  Is
>>> it OK?
>>>
>>> It may be that the issue is that an fallocate()'d file is using
>>> "unwritten extents" and converting these extents to "normal" extents
>>> may cause apparent fragmentation.  However, depending on which
>>> version of e2fsprogs/filefrag you are using, it may well be that
>>> these extents only appear to be fragmented due to the different
>>> extent types.
>> Agreed, please include filefrag (-v) output right after it's fallocated,
>> and also when you see this fragmentation, and then we'll have a better
>> idea
>> about what you're seeing.  And, the newer the filefrag the better.  :)
> Thanks for clarification. Turns out ext4 is performing as expected,
> nevermind my previous message.
>
> I was confused by discrepancy  in number of extents reported by filefrag
> 1.41.10 with/without -v flag.

:) yeah, that's an odd discrepancy, I guess...

I think filefrag needs to decide what it means by "number of extents"
found, and stick to it.  For ext3 it merges in contiguous metadata,
for ext4 it doesn't count adjacent extents as separate, etc...
it does get confusing.

Anyway, glad that what you're actually seeing on disk is pretty
much what's expected.  :)  I am a little surprised that we are
leaving those little interspersed unwritten extents though, bits
of the code try to extend the conversion to avoid that, I thought.

-Eric