Date:	Wed, 29 Dec 2010 12:15:44 -0500
From:	Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer@...il.com>
To:	Christian Stroetmann <stroetmann@...olinux.com>
Cc:	Olaf van der Spek <olafvdspek@...il.com>,
	linux-ext4 <linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org>,
	Ric Wheeler <rwheeler@...hat.com>,
	Amir Goldstein <amir73il@...il.com>
Subject: Re: Atomic file data replace API

On Wed, Dec 29, 2010 at 10:30 AM, Christian Stroetmann
<stroetmann@...olinux.com> wrote:
> On the 29.12.2010 13:42, Olaf van der Spek wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Dec 29, 2010 at 10:20 AM, Amir Goldstein<amir73il@...il.com>
>>  wrote:

> No, not this way. You were and still are asked for delivering the code.
> Don't pervert the threat of the discussion.

>>> I think it is safe to say that the *only* option you have now is "temp
>>> file, fsync, rename".
>>
>> I'm really looking for a concrete code snippet/function that does this.
>> For example, file permissions should definitely be preserved.
>>
>>> There is no "generic atomic file data replace API in Linux", though it
>>> is available via
>>> private ioctl for XFS and EXT4.
>>>
>>> You have started a bit of a storm with your previous thread, which
>>> doesn't help you
>>> much in moving forward in the current thread (previous thread is still
>>> more popular).
>>> I suggest that you humbly swallow you need to know WHY is it hard to
>>> implement
>>> non-durable atomic API and focus your attention on the very achievable
>>> data replace API.
>>>
>>> IMHO, implementing atomic swap_inodes_data operation shouldn't be
>>> difficult
>>> in most file systems (only implementation is simple, but testing and
>>> maintaining
>>> is not to be taken lightly).
>>> Something along the lines of:
>>> 1. aquire inodes write/truncate locks
>>> 2. start transaction
>>> 3. check/update quota limits
>>> 4. swap inodes i_data content
>>> 5. invalidate (or swap?) inodes page caches
>>> 6. mark inodes dirty
>>> 7. end transaction&  release locks
>>>
>>> The real challenge would be to get everyone to agree on a common API
>>> and carve it in stone to the kernel's ABI (is it just swap_inodes_data?
>>> maybe also swap_inode_data_ranges? what about some options?)
>>
>> Swapping data is an improvement but still not ideal. The API is also
>> more complex than O_ATOMIC.
>>
>>> Also, as wacky and (some say) faulty the UNIX permissions models is,
>>> current systems have grown old with it, and even 'improving' the behavior
>>> of some applications, may wake up sleeping monsters, so it will not
>>> be done until enough people have pointed out security or usability
>>> issues, which could not be solved otherwise.
>>
>> Each app makes it's own decision about what API to use. Supporting
>> atomic stuff doesn't change the behaviour of existing apps.
>
> Wrong, we are talking here in the first place about general atomic FS
> operations. And to guarantee atomicity you have to change general FS
> functions in such a way that in the end all other applications are affected,
> or otherwise you have to implement an own (larger part of an) FS.
> At this point there is no discussion anymore without code from you, because
> this subject is as well discussed to the maximum in information
> processing/informatics/computer science.
>
>>> In other words, until you find an *application* that wants to allow other
>>> user to modify the content of a file and preserve it's metadata and
>>> ownership.
>>> And unless that application cannot find a better way to achieve what it
>>> wanted
>>> to do in the first place, or unless that application already has a
>>> large install base
>>> which suffers from *a problem*, you will not have proven *the need*.
>>
>> Maybe I should ask devs of some large apps on their take of this issue.
>
> Nonsense, because they are already using:
> a) the functions available by an FS,
> b) the functions available by a DBMS, or
> c) a propritary special solution based on the available functions of the OS
> and additional functionality that they develope and maintain themselves
> for their comparable use cases since decades due to the cost vs. benefit
> ratio.

<sarcasm>
Olaf, clearly if you want to find issues / use cases for your new API
you should not talk to developers of complex tools.  They have it all
figured out.

It's only you that doesn't know how to code up a userspace solution to
the problem.
<\sarcasm>

Surely productivity suites like openoffice have to address the issue.
How satisfied they are I don't know.  And despite Neil's argument that
only one user should be able to write to a given doc, that is just not
how normal office suites work today.

Also, I believe KDE and its myriad of config files has issues with
major config file corruption due to unexpected shutdowns during the
config file update process, so they certainly don't have it figured
out.

Why don't they use the temp file, fsync, rename process?

Those are the 2 user-space suites I would go investigate first.  I'm
sure there are many others.

Also, I believe Windows offers an API like your proposing.  How does
Samba support it?

Greg