Date:	Thu, 14 Apr 2011 12:36:40 +0300
From:	Amir Goldstein <amir73il@...il.com>
To:	Jan Kara <jack@...e.cz>
Cc:	Ext4 Developers List <linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: recursive mtime patches

On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 12:21 PM, Jan Kara <jack@...e.cz> wrote:
> On Thu 14-04-11 10:12:26, Amir Goldstein wrote:

>> >  The trouble is you don't know the number of directories that may need
>> > to have timestamp updated - you find that out only as you travel upwards.
>> > So it's hard to reserve any fixed space for this.
>> >

>> True, but you can save *so* many inode numbers in just one descriptor
>> block and in case of an overflow, we can just pass a hint to the top
>> level application to do a full directory scan, so I hardly see that as a
>> big problem.
>  Well, about 1000 but you can still have about 8000 inodes modified in a
> transaction for a standard 128 MB journal. You can notify the userspace
> when an overflow happens but the interface gets kind of ugly... Also it
> would be only specific to ext3/4 while I'd prefer to get a wider fs
> support.

Well, the persistent inode notification (by the way a feature provided by NTFS),
can be specific to ext4, but it can work together with a generic recursive mtime
code.
ext4 will simply touch directories during journal recovery.
other fs will only have the generic runtime recursive mtime.

>> >  It breaks POSIX specification - POSIX pretty much specifies when mtime is
>> > supposed to be changed - so I'm not sure we really want to do that...
>>
>> I disagree, POSIX doesn't forbid a user space daemon from touching directory
>> inodes and updating their mtime. The rec_mtime feature should be treated as
>> a little kernel "daemon" which propagates information to user space by touching
>> recursively modified directories.
>  OK, if you look at it this way it makes some sense. You loose the
> distinction whether something has been created / deleted in the directory
> or whether only something happened in its subdirectory or file but that
> does not seem too important for any use case I can think of.

Personally, whenever I look at a dir mtime I would much rather I see
recursive mtime
(I would much rather see recursive size as well but that is too much to ask).
rsync can be easily modified to skipped entire directories if their
(recursive) mtime
hasn't changed.
I would like to view dir (recursive) mtime using existing tools (from
ls to folder manager)
and not use specialized tools that look at extended attributes,
but hey, that's just me :-)