Date:	Mon, 6 Jun 2011 00:19:50 -0400
From:	Ted Ts'o <tytso@....edu>
To:	Micah Anderson <micah@...eup.net>
Cc:	linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: ext4 corruption

On Sun, Jun 05, 2011 at 11:59:34PM -0400, Micah Anderson wrote:

> I previously wrote about a recent conversion from ext3 to ext4 (on
> Debian Squeeze), which went well. However, I seem to be having problems
> with the ext4 filesystem.

Are you using the 2.6.32 kernel (the Debian squeeze default)?  Try
updating to 2.6.39.1, and see if that stablizes things.  There have
been a huge number of bug fixes since 2.6.32, and no one has been
really backporting patches to such an ancient kernel.  This is one of
the ways in which Debian Obsolete^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H Stable can be
somewhat of a disadvantage.  Unlike the RHEL kernels, no one is
backporting ext4 bugfixes to older Debian stable kernels, and ext4 was
still getting a lot of bug fixes in the 2.6.32 days.

That being said, you're seeing some pretty severe inode *and* block
allocation bitmap problems, and that doesn't sound like anything I
remember even back in the 2.6.32 days.  It does make me wonder about
the stability of the hardware and of the software raid code...

   	      	     	      	     	 	       - Ted