Date:	Wed, 27 Jul 2011 21:05:57 +0300
From:	Amir Goldstein <amir73il@...il.com>
To:	Andreas Dilger <aedilger@...il.com>
Cc:	Round Robinjp <roundrobinjp@...oo.co.jp>,
	"Ted Ts'o" <tytso@....edu>,
	"linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org" <linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: flashing large eMMC partitions with ext4

On Wed, Jul 27, 2011 at 8:16 PM, Andreas Dilger <aedilger@...il.com> wrote:
> I still think that using resize2fs and removing/adding the journal provides the clearest way to create a small image. The only drawback is that this needs some post-processing steps after the image is written, so it may not be suitable for some workflows.

I must say this is a fun game to play :-)

I think it can be done without post processing.
If you know the estimated disk usage of the initial fs, say 1G:
1. mkfs a 1G ext4 fs with no journal, flex_bg=32, resize=4G
2. mount it and cp -a /foo/* /mnt/
3. use new online resize to resize fs to 4G (maintaining flex_bg layout)
4. add journal to mounted fs (.journal file should be allocated with goal 0??)

if my calculations are correct, the only blocks written beyond the 1G mark
are the super block backup copies, so truncating the resulting image to 1G
won't do any damage - even fsck shouldn't complain.

I have a task in my queue to test Yongqiangs new resize patches
(not the series that was just merged - the next series).
When I get to it I will try to play this game and let you guys know if
it worked.

Amir.