Date:	Mon, 22 Aug 2011 19:35:04 -0700
From:	"Darrick J. Wong" <djwong@...ibm.com>
To:	Andreas Dilger <adilger.kernel@...ger.ca>
Cc:	"Theodore Ts'o" <tytso@....edu>,
	linux-fsdevel Devel <linux-fsdevel@...r.kernel.org>,
	linux-ext4 List <linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org>,
	Sunil Mushran <sunil.mushran@...cle.com>,
	Joel Becker <jlbec@...lplan.org>,
	Mingming Cao <cmm@...ibm.com>,
	Amir Goldstein <amir73il@...il.com>,
	Coly Li <colyli@...il.com>, Andi Kleen <andi@...stfloor.org>
Subject: Re: [RFC] ext4 metadata checksumming design

On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 12:11:25PM -0600, Andreas Dilger wrote:
> On 2011-08-16, at 9:25 PM, Darrick J. Wong wrote:
> > I've created a page on the ext4 wiki outlining the patchset that I'm working on
> > to add metadata checksumming to ext4.  The page can be found at this address:
> > https://ext4.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Ext4_Metadata_Checksums
>
> Darrick,
> I just had a look though this document, and it looks pretty good.  It does
> need to be updated to reflect that the inode checksum now covers the full
> inode size, which is already mentioned in the "Extended Attributes" section.

Updated; thank you.

> > For the most part, the metadata objects in ext4 actually have enough space to
> > squeeze in a 32-bit checksum; it was trivially easy to find a spot in the
> > superblock, the extent tree, extended attribute blocks, and the inode.  Those
> > pieces are already done and in my tree, but the patchset as a whole is being
> > held up by the second class of metadata objects.
>
> For the group descriptor checksum and inode/block bitmap checksums with
> 32-byte group descriptors it makes sense to truncate the CRC32c checksum
> and store the low bits of the checksum in the existing 16-bit fields, and
> the high bits in extended 16-bit fields.

One thing I haven't had the time to do yet is run that monte carlo simulation
that Ted suggested to find out how painful it is to cut off half of a crc32.
Do you know of anyone who has?  (Or for that matter knows anything about my
half-baked idea to crc16(crc32(bitmap))?)

> As a follow on, it probably also makes sense to test with a < 2^32 block
> filesystem with a 64-byte group descriptor.  That would give enough room
> for 32-bit checksums even on smaller filesystems, and would also help
> facilitate resizing filesystems from < 2^32 blocks to > 2^32 blocks in
> the future.  That _may_ just be as easy as formatting with "-O 64bit"
> on a < 2^32 block filesystem, but I don't know how much that has been
> tested.

I've been testing it.  I haven't seen any problems _so_ far.... :)

Thank you for the review!

--D