Date:	Wed, 5 Oct 2011 18:34:36 -0700 (PDT)
From:	Christian Kujau <lists@...dbynature.de>
To:	Jan Kara <jack@...e.cz>
cc:	Eric Sandeen <sandeen@...hat.com>, linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org,
	mszeredi@...e.cz, Al Viro <viro@...IV.linux.org.uk>
Subject: Re: EXT4-fs (dm-1): Couldn't remount RDWR because of unprocessed
 orphan inode list

On Wed, 5 Oct 2011 at 20:03, Jan Kara wrote:
>> With Miklos' patches applied to -rc5, this happend again just now :-(
>>
> Thanks for careful testing! Hmm, since you are able to reproduce on ppc
> but not on x86 there might be some memory ordering bug in Miklos' patches
> or it's simply because of different timing. Miklos, care to debug this
> further?

Just to be clear: I'm still not entirely sure how to reproduce this at
will. I *assumed* that the daily remount-rw-and-ro-again routine that left
some inodes in limbo and eventually lead to those "unprocessed orphan
inodes". With that in mind I tried to reproduce this with the help of a
test-script (test-remount.sh, [0]) - but the message did not occur while
the script was running.

I've ran the script again today on the said powerpc machine on a
loop-mounted 500MB ext4 partition. But even after 100 iterations no
such message occured.

So maybe it's caused by something else or my test-script just doesn't get
the scenario right and there's something subtle to this whole
remounting-business I haven't figured out yet, leading to those orphan
inodes.

I'm at 3.1.0-rc9 now and will wait until the errors occur again.

Christian.

[0] nerdbynature.de/bits/3.1-rc4/ext4/
--
BOFH excuse #423: