Date:	Mon, 17 Oct 2011 12:52:36 +0100
From:	Bas van Schaik <bas@...es.nl>
To:	linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Used dd to copy an ext4 filesystem, but target contained an old (mounted!)
 filesystem

Hi all,

Long story short: I dd'ed 1.5TB of data to an LVM volume 'newdata' that
already contained a filesystem (which I wanted to get rid of).
Unfortunately, the old filesystem turned out to be mounted during the
dd. After noticing this, I quickly created LVM snapshots of the
'newdata' volume before unmounting the old filesystem (hoping that it
didn't write out it fs data structures to 'newdata' yet, as I didn't
access it) and tried mounting the snapshot. Unfortunately, it showed the
old directory listing.

The actual data is definitely sitting on the 'newdata' volume, but the
filesystem datastructures simply don't know about it. The source of the
data is definitely gone, I can't simply dd it again.

Is there any other location where ext4 stores a copy of its data
structures? Or any other tips & tricks?

Many thanks,

   Bas