Date:	Tue, 22 Nov 2011 08:57:41 -0700
From:	Allison Henderson <achender@...ux.vnet.ibm.com>
To:	Surbhi Palande <csurbhi@...il.com>
CC:	linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Fwd: Bug with "fix partial page writes"

On 11/21/2011 02:26 PM, Surbhi Palande wrote:
> Hi Allison,
>
> I still do not understand why there is a need to write zeroes to the
> end of a page rather than an end of a partially written block (in case
> blocksize<  pagesize)
>
> Here is why I dont understand it:
>

> Consider the case when:
> blocksize<  pagesize.
>
> On a write to a page, we have two cases wrt to a buffer
> 1) partial writes to a buffer - this is taken care of by page_zero_new_buffers()
> 2) buffer represent a hole - so not written to at all.
> Note that this buffer that completely represents a hole is not
> allocated on the disk since blocksize<  pagesize.
> In this case, such a buffer is always unmapped and can never be
> written to the disk, nor can it be read from the disk.
> Also, ext4_writepage() does not call submit_bh() on an unmapped buffer.
>
> Thus how do we get garbage from a buffer that completely represents a hole?
>
> Regards,
> Surbhi.

Hmm, well, it didnt seem to be a problem for pages that were completely
in the hole or truncated, just partial pages.  I did notice that when
this bug occurs, a previous operations has written stuff in the page, so
I think that's where the garbage comes from.  So the page is used, then
a punch hole or truncate removes the page, and then a partial write uses
the page again.  And fsx will not catch this unless a read operation
happens to be done on the same region after the bug happens, but before
some other operation uses the page and covers up the evidence.  That's
just my observation of this bug, but if page_zero_new_buffers is
supposed to be what takes care of this, then maybe we need to
investigate why it wasnt working for this case.  Will look more into it
on Thurs.

Allison Henderson