Date:	Mon, 27 Feb 2012 09:37:32 -0600
From:	Eric Sandeen <sandeen@...hat.com>
To:	linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [RFC] ext4: block reservation allocation

On 2/27/12 3:09 AM, Zheng Liu wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> Now, in ext4, we have multi-block allocation and delay allocation. They work
> well for most scenarios. However, in some specific scenarios, they cannot help
> us to optimize block allocation. For example, the user may want to indicate some
> file set to be allocated at the beginning of the disk because its speed in this
> position is faster than its speed at the end of disk.

I agree with Lukas - please, no.

You can play tricks with your storage to accomplish much the same thing,
by making filesystems on faster & slower devices and mounting them on
directories which your application can recognize as faster/slower.

If you want "fast" for metadata, adilger has a recipe out there for using
lvm to interleave ssd blocks with spinning blocks to get metadata to line
up on the ssd.

A filesystem-specific hack for a custom application has no place in EXT4,
IMHO, sorry.

Essentially this would move allocation decisions to userspace, and I don't
think that sounds like a good idea.  If nothing else, the application shouldn't
assume that it "knows" anything at all about which regions of a filesystem may
be faster or slower...

-Eric