Date:	Tue, 28 Feb 2012 12:05:14 +0800
From:	Zheng Liu <gnehzuil.liu@...il.com>
To:	Andreas Dilger <adilger@...ger.ca>
Cc:	Ted Ts'o <tytso@....edu>, Eric Sandeen <sandeen@...hat.com>,
	Lukas Czerner <lczerner@...hat.com>,
	Yongqiang Yang <xiaoqiangnk@...il.com>,
	linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [RFC] ext4: block reservation allocation

On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 03:00:12PM -0700, Andreas Dilger wrote:
> [...]
> >
> > 	* This file is mostly emphemeral --- vs --- this file will be
> >          sticking around for a long time.
> >
> > 	* This file will be read mostly sequentially --- vs --- this
> >          file will be read mostly via random access.
>
> I definitely think that this is Zheng's real goal - to be able to give
> application-level hints to the underlying filesystem.  While Lukas and
> Eric may disagree with the _mechanism_ that Zheng proposed, I definitely
> think the _goal_ is useful.
>
> Often when working at the filesystem level the kernel has to try and
> guess the intent of the application instead of being told what the
> application actually wants.  A prime example is delalloc vs. fallocate(),
> where the kernel is guessing (via delalloc) that the application may be
> writing more data to the filesystem so it should delay flushing that
> data to disk in the hope of making a better decision, while fallocate()
> allows the application to specify exactly what file data will be written
> and the kernel can make a good allocation decision immediately.
>
> > Obviously, these can be combined in various interesting ways; consider
> > for example an application journal file which is rarely read (except
> > in recovery circumstances, after a system crash, where speed might not
> > be the most important thing), and so even though the file is being
> > appended to regularly, contiguous block allocations might not matter
> > that much --- especially if the file is also being regularly fsync'ed,
> > so it would be more important if the blocks are located close to the
> > inode table.  This isn't a hypothetical situation, by the way; I once
> > saw a performance regression of ext4 vs. ext2 that was traced down to
> > the fact that ext2 would greedily allocate the block closest to the
> > inode table, whereas ext4 would optimize for reading the file later,
> > and so allocating a large contiguous block far, far away from the
> > inode table was what ext4 choose to do.  However, in this particular
> > case, optimizing for the frequent small write/fsync case would have
> > been a better choice.
> >

> > In some cases the file system can infer some of these characteristics
> > (e.g. if the file was opened O_APPEND, it's probably a file that will
> > be extended often).
> >
> > In other cases it makes sense for this sort of thing to be declared
> > via an fcntl or fadvise when the file is first opened.  Indeed we have
> > some of this already via fadvise's FADV_RANDOM vs. FADV_SEQUENTIAL,
> > although currently the expectation of this interface is that it's
> > mostly used for applications declare how they plan to read a
> > particular file from the perspective of enabling or disabling
> > readahead, and not from the perspective of influencing how the file
> > system should handle its allocation policy.
>
> Yes, using FADV_* for files during write is exactly the kind of hint
> that the kernel could use.  I expect that the current FADV_* flags are
> not rich enough, but at least could form a starting point for this.

Hi Andreas,

I agree with you and Ted. Maybe we can provide more flags in fadvise(2)
to let the user to help the kernel to make a better decision.

I notice this RFC[1] in linux-kernel mailing list. This is an acceptable
solution for us.  Some flags can be added into fadvise(2).

e.g.
FADV_READ_HOT
FADV_READ_SEQ
FADV_READ_RANDOM
FADV_WRITE_ONCE
FADV_WRITE_APPEND
FADV_WRITE_FIX_FILELEN

Then file system can pick a subset of these flags to implement.

1. https://lkml.org/lkml/2012/2/9/473

Regards,
Zheng