Date:	Mon, 4 Jun 2012 15:56:15 +0200
From:	Jan Kara <jack@...e.cz>
To:	Jeff Liu <jeff.liu@...cle.com>
Cc:	Jan Kara <jack@...e.cz>, Serge Hallyn <serge.hallyn@...onical.com>,
	tytso@....edu, containers@...ts.linux-foundation.org,
	david@...morbit.com, hch@...radead.org, bpm@....com,
	christopher.jones@...cle.com, linux-fsdevel@...r.kernel.org,
	cgroups@...r.kernel.org, tm@....ma, linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org,
	chris.mason@...cle.com, tinguely@....com
Subject: Re: container disk quota

On Mon 04-06-12 21:35:06, Jeff Liu wrote:
> On 06/04/2012 05:42 PM, Jan Kara wrote:

> >> Sorry for my poor english.

> >> In that case, looks we only need to figure out how to let quota tools
> >> works at container.
> >> I'll build a new kernel with user_ns to give a try.
> >   GETQUOTA or SETQUOTA quotactls should work just fine inside a container
> > (for those quota-tools just need access to /proc/mounts). QUOTAON should
> > also work for e.g. XFS or ext4 with hidden quota files. When quota files
> > are visible in fs namespace (as for ext3 or so), things would be a bit
> > tricky because they won't be possibly visible from container and QUOTAON
> > needs that.
>
> I still think if we can cache container dquot on memory to make this
> feature as simple as possible. :)
  Sorry, I don't understand. Quota structures are cached in memory. Also
what would be simpler if you also do some caching in a container?

> And also, quotacheck is the major issue I have faced previously, since we need a reasonable approach to calculate
> and save the current inodes/blocks usage firstly.
  Yes, quotacheck inside a container is a problem. But similarly as with
quotaon(8), I think such global operation should rather be done outside.

> > Also with QUOTAON there is the principial problem that quotas either are or
> > are not enabled for the whole filesystem.
>
> IMHO, we could supply uid/gid quota for the whole filesystem only(i.e,
> the "/" rootfs), and we can support project quota among sub-directories
> in the future if possible.
>
> > So probably the only reasonable
> > choice when you would like to supporot quotas in the container would be to
> > have quotas enabled all the time, and inside the container, you would just
> > set some quota limits or you won't...
>
> I remember that ext4 has already supported quota as the first class,
> looks we can consider container quota same to that.
>
> So we can ignore the quotacheck step, only focus on quota limits setup
> inside container?
  Yes, that would be my suggestion.

								Honza
--