Date:	Thu, 13 Sep 2012 14:54:27 +0200
From:	"norritt" <norritt@...nline.de>
To:	linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org
CC:	norritt@...nline.de
Subject: Re: Ongoing data reorganization/defragmentation?

On 12.09.2012 20:15, Lukáš Czerner wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Sep 2012, norritt@...nline.de wrote:
>
>  From what I've found out it's a good idea to:
> - mount with noatime, discard (if drive supports trim)
> The -o discard option might be tricky since some devices still
> handles it quite badly and you can experience big performance drops
> (http://people.redhat.com/lczerner/discard/ although it is somewhat
> outdated already). But you might to try to see yourself if it does
> not hurt your performance.
>
> The other option would be to use batched discard with fstrim (see
> fstrim from util-linux) and run it once per (day, week, month).
>
> Thanks!
> -Lukas

Hi  Lukáš,
thank you for pointing out the performance issue with the discard mount
option, I hadn't read about that yet. As far is I know I'm using a quite
special SSD (SanDisk, with a SanDisk controller), where most other SSDs
on the market seem to be based on Marvell, Sandforce or Indilinx
controllers. I saw that you were using SSDs from various vendors for
your benchmarking tests. Was a model with SanDisk controller among the
drives you tested? Would postmark data about disks with SanDisk
controller be of interest to you?

Regards Nor