Date:	Fri, 19 Oct 2012 11:36:14 -0300
From:	Carlos Maiolino <cmaiolino@...hat.com>
To:	linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Shrinking ext3 partition takes long and high CPU usage

On Fri, Oct 19, 2012 at 11:34:26AM +0200, Marcel van Beurden wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm in the process of shrinking a 900 GB ext3 partition on a USB2
> connected disk using Gparted (0.5.1-1ubuntu3). The whole thing has
> been running for 2 days now and I'm curious whether it will ever
> finish. Right now the resize2fs (sub)process is using 99% of one
> 3.2GHz Xeon core (totalling up to 32 hours of CPU time so far).
>
> Is resize2fs being stuck and hanging forever, or is it just taking a
> lot of time? I wouldn't expect resizing to be so CPU intensive.

Hi, is not possible to answer this with just the information you provided. I
would expect to see soft lockup warnings on the system log if it was really
stuck.

A stack trace of the resize2fs process (sysrq-t) might give some information
about what's going on.

You're using a too olde resize2fs so, may be possible you're using a buggy
version too, but I'm not the best person to say if there was any bug on
resize2fs which might be causing this.

Also, I hope you're trying to shrink the filesystem with this umounted :-)