Date:	Mon, 12 Nov 2012 11:16:46 -0500
From:	Theodore Ts'o <tytso@....edu>
To:	"kaefert@...il.com" <kaefert@...il.com>
Cc:	linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: e2fsck extremly slow after: EXT4-fs.. ext4_check_descriptors:
 Checksum for group .. failed

On Sun, Nov 11, 2012 at 07:14:40PM +0100, kaefert@...il.com wrote:

> So it took several days, but after running it manually it finished to
> run after a few days. However, It doesn't seem to get the filesystem
> in a truely clean state, although it doesn't print an error (at least
> not at the end), because I've ran e2fsck again on the same partition
> and it found errors again. Here's the output of the last run that
> completed:

You said this is an external USB drive, right?  How big is it?  If
it's affordable, something I would suggest doing is to make image copy
(i.e., using dd or dd_rescue) to another external USB drive, just to
rule out hardware issues.

The Pass 1B/1C/1D errors, particularly if you are seeing the exact
same pattern after running a full e2fsck -fy run, makes me suspicious
that inode table blocks are getting written to the wrong location on
disk --- and whether this is caused by the storage device failing in
some strange way.

Also, can you save the output of e2fsck to a file?  Direct the output
to a log file, so I can look at it.  There are patterns of the
"millions of entries of the same pattern" which you've elided which
can be a hint.  Also, can you disable the German translation to make
it easier for me to investigate?

Thanks,

						- Ted