Date:	Thu, 15 Nov 2012 13:01:12 +0300
From:	Andrey Sidorov <qrxd43@...orola.com>
To:	dedekind1@...il.com
Cc:	"Ohlsson, Fredrik (GE Healthcare, consultant)"
	<Fredrik.Ohlsson@...com>, linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: ext4 settings in an embedded system

On Thu, Nov 15, 2012 at 12:42 PM, Artem Bityutskiy <dedekind1@...il.com> wrote:

> We conducted some 3 years ago. Results were quite good for ext4 - in
> many cases it could recover without a need to run ckfs.ext4, sometimes
> it was not mountable, but ckfs.ext4 helped.
>
> On the opposite, ext3 constantly required ckfs.ext3, and sometimes died
> so badly that even ckfs.ext3 could not recover it.

We ran about 6000 cycles of power resets with linux 2.6.37. The test
was to run 3 tar processes unpacking linux kernel archive and power
off after about 15 seconds. There were only 3 failures when file
system couldn't be mounted, but that was due to HDD failure
(unreadable sector in journal area). e2fsck successfully recovered
those corruptions. As for software itself, there was no single issue
and we never needed to run fsck after power loss. So I'd say that ext4
is very tolerant to power losses at least in 2.6.37 assuming barriers
and ordered data mode. I however understand this test is quite basic
and any way results can be different for different kernels.