Date:	Wed, 6 Mar 2013 17:58:18 -0500
From:	Theodore Ts'o <tytso@....edu>
To:	Zheng Liu <gnehzuil.liu@...il.com>
Cc:	linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org, Zheng Liu <wenqing.lz@...bao.com>,
	Dmitry Monakhov <dmonakhov@...nvz.org>
Subject: Dev branch regressions

On Wed, Mar 06, 2013 at 10:17:10PM +0800, Zheng Liu wrote:

> *Big Note*
> When I am testing this patch series, I found some regressions in dev branch.
> Here is a note.  These regressions could be hitted by running test case
> serveral times.  So If we just run xfstests one time, they could be missed.
>
>  - xfstests #74 with data=journal
>
>  - xfstests #247 with data=journal
> Some warning messages are printed by ext4_releasepage.  We hit
> WARN_ON(PageChecked(page)) in this function.  But the test case itself can
> pass.
>
>  - xfstests #269 with dioread_nolock
> The system will hang

I'm going to guess that you were running this using your SSD test
setup?  I just ran:

kvm-xfstests -c data_journal 74,74,74,74,74,247,247,247,247,247

using my standard hdd setup, and didn't see any failures or warnings.

How frequently are you seeing these failures?  When I have a chance
I'll try running these tests with a tmpfs image and see if I have any
better luck reproducing the problem there.

I did manage to get a hang (preceded with a soft lockup for the
dioread_nolock with test 269).

>  - xfstests #83 with bigalloc
> Some threads could be blocked for 120s.

I've seen this test blocked for hours (but without managing to trigger
the 120s soft lockup warning), but I'm not entirely sure this was a
regression.  I believe I've seen a similar hang with 3.8.0-rc3 if I
recall correctly.  I had been hoping the changes with the extent
status tree would fix it, but apparently no such luck.  :-(

> I don't paste full details here to make description clearly.  I will go on
> tracing these problems.  I am happy to provide full details if some one
> want to take a close look at these problems.

If you have a chance, please do send e-mails with each failure
separated out in a separate e-mail with different subject line so it's
easier for others to follow along.

Thanks!!

						- Ted