Date:	Sun, 16 Jun 2013 10:55:33 +1000
From:	Dave Chinner <david@...morbit.com>
To:	Radek Pazdera <rpazdera@...hat.com>
Cc:	linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org, lczerner@...hat.com,
	kasparek@....vutbr.cz
Subject: Re: [RFC 0/9] ext4: An Auxiliary Tree for the Directory Index

On Sat, May 04, 2013 at 11:28:33PM +0200, Radek Pazdera wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I am an university student from Brno /CZE/. I decided to try to optimise
> the readdir/stat scenario in ext4 as the final project to school. I
> posted some test results I got few months ago [1].
>
> I tried to implement an additional tree for ext4's directory index
> that would be sorted by inode numbers. The tree then would be used
> by ext4_readdir() which should lead to substantial increase of
> performance of operations that manipulate a whole directory at once.
>
> The performance increase should be visible especially with large
> directories or in case of low memory or cache pressure.
>
> This patch series is what I've got so far. I must say, I originally
> thought it would be *much* simpler :).
> BENCHMARKS
> ==========
>
> I did some benchmarks and compared the performance with ext4/htree,
> XFS, and btrfs up to 5 000 000 of files in a single directory. Not
> all of them are done though (they run for days).

Just a note that for users that have this sort of workload on XFS,
it is generally recommended that they increase the directory block
size to 8-16k (from the default of 4k). The saddle point where 8-16k
directory blocks tends to perform better than 4k directory blocks is
around the 2-3 million file point....

Further, if you are doing random operations on such directories,
then increasing it to the maximum of 64k is recommended. This
greatly reduces the IO overhead of directory manipulations by making
the trees widers and shallower. i.e. we recommend trading off CPU
and memory for lower IO overhead and better layout on disk as it's
layout and IO that are the performance limiting factors for large
directories. :)

> Full results are available here:
>     http://www.stud.fit.vutbr.cz/~xpazde00/soubory/ext4-5M/

Can you publish the scripts you used so we can try to reproduce
your results?

> I also did some tests on an aged file system (I used the simple 0.8
> chance to create, 0.2 to delete a file) where the results of ext4
> with itree are much better even than xfs, which gets fragmented:
>
>     http://www.stud.fit.vutbr.cz/~xpazde00/soubory/5M-dirty/cp.png
>     http://www.stud.fit.vutbr.cz/~xpazde00/soubory/5M-dirty/readdir-stat.png

This XFS result is of interest to me here - it shouldn't degrade
like that, so having the script to be able to reproduce it locally
would be helpful to me. Indeed, I posted a simple patch yesterday
that significantly improves XFS performance on a similar small file
create workload:

http://marc.info/?l=linux-fsdevel&m=137126465712701&w=2

That writeback plugging change should benefit ext4 as well in these
workloads....

Cheers,

Dave.
--