Date:	Thu, 12 Sep 2013 16:39:33 +0000
From:	Alexander Harrowell <a.harrowell@...il.com>
To:	linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Fwd: strange e2fsck magic number behaviour

I'm currently trying to recover an ext4 filesystem. Last night, during
a resize operation, the system (Ubuntu 12.04 LTS on my fix-stuff usb
stick) locked up hard and eventually crashed. Restarting,
unsurprisingly, gparted offered to check the volume. e2fsck, called
from within gparted, replayed the journal overnight and completed the
resize.

however, where I was expecting a volume with about 3.5GB of free
space, there was now a volume with 32GB free space, a bit more than
50% utilised. inevitably, trying to boot the linux that lives in there
dropped into grub rescue.

going back, I tried to e2fsck it. this reported large numbers of inode
issues and eventually reported clean. I could mount the volume, but
file metadata looked generally broken (lots of ?s). testdisk showed
the partitions were intact, although it claimed the drive was the
wrong size (incorrectly), and found lots of deleted files within my
ecryptfs home folder. It also found the backup superblocks for the
damaged volume.

the first couple I tried were corrupt, but the third was valid. e2fsck
-b [superblock] -y reports fixing a lot of inode things, checksums,
and then restarts.  it then starts to report hunormous numbers of
multiply-claimed blocks.

and now comes the interesting bit - at some point, block 16777215
starts to appear more and more often in the inodes, often duplicated,
until it starts to print out the number 16777215 in a fast loop. in
fact, it looks like it hits some inode and keeps printing block
16777215 to the same very long line (it's generated 500MB of log)

I removed the first inode containing this block via debugfs, without
this helping.

It sticks out that 16777215 is a magic number (the maximum in a 48 bit
address space) and I google that either ext4 or e2fsck has had a bug
involving it before.