Date:	Sat, 14 Sep 2013 11:47:10 -0700
From:	Cuong Tran <cuonghuutran@...il.com>
To:	"Theodore Ts'o" <tytso@....edu>
Cc:	"linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org" <linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org>,
	"linux-fsdevel@...r.kernel.org" <linux-fsdevel@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: Java Stop-the-World GC stall induced by FS flush or many large
 file deletions

Sorry for belated response as I am packing for vacation.

It's very interesting about the stable page writeback. I will keep
that in mind because other apps use mmap but not this one.

Oh, I was not very clear in my earlier e-mails. The jbd2_run_stats are
for the tests that falloc() (hence you did not see much writes) and
then delete large files. Java app is not running in these traces. I
will repeat the run but this time with Java app and let you know.

I hope you don't mind the following questions:

1. We observed that ex4 if mounted with "writeback" seems to be less
likely to stall than mounted with "ordered". Is this because "ordered"
flushes the journal buffers after the data blocks  of the same inode
and hence it's more likely for the threads writing to the same inode
to block (hence stall) during the journal commit? In our test, all
threads write to the same inode.

2. We also observed that the threads are more likely to stall when
write back kicks in (dirty_background_ratio exceeded). Is this due to
block allocations if the FS has to flush buffers that have delayed
allocation?

3. Once the # dirty buffers approach dirty_ratio threshold, the
threads can stall more frequently than in case 2 above, probably they
are drafted to flush the dirty buffers?

4. I am very puzzled as I can correlate some but not stalls with GC
writes to gc.log file. But I can't correlate stalls with deferred
writes by the app threads. These writes are append-only and can take
up to 700 msec  to return but the strace time-stamp of such writes do
not line up with when GC stalls happen.

And it's also unclear when GC "parks" or "acquiesces" the threads.
AFAIK, it's a co-operating models that app threads check  back
(probably via futex) if they need to park. What if one thread is stuck
in a kernel but in the mean time, Eden needs compaction! Other threads
can not proceed then until the "stuck" thread checks back and parks?
(I would think JVM would signal the threads to "recall" them but that
does not seem to be the case).

Thanks again and you have a good weekend.

--Cuong