Date:	Mon, 9 Dec 2013 19:25:31 -0200
From:	Carlos Maiolino <cmaiolino@...hat.com>
To:	linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Still about ext2/ext3 mount options while using ext4.ko driver

Hi guys,

Ted released some months ago a patch to deny some options to be used by ext4.ko
driver while mounting an ext2/3 filesystem.

But, there are still some mount options that IMHO needs a review of what should
and shouldn't be allowed while using ext4 to mount ex2/3 filesystems.

These are the options:

inode_readahead_blks=32 # ext2/3 might get some benefits from it

stripe=4 	 # Feasible to all extX IMHO

max_batch_time=5 #I'm not sure ir this has any gain for ext2 and if it might
		  work well with ext3, any comments?

min_batch_time=5 #same as above

journal_ioprio=5 #doesn't make sense for ext2, but might be useful for ext3 FS?!

auto_da_alloc    #ext4 only

noauto_da_alloc  #same as above

discard		 #ex2 shouldn't be allowed to use it ?!

nodiscard	 #same as above

block_validity   #ext4 and debugging purposes only, should be off for ext2/3 too

noblock_validity #same as above

i_version  # I believe this is only valid for Ext4

journal=11 #doesn't make sense for ext2

barrier=1 #doesn't make sense for ext2

barrier #doesn't make sense for ext2

nobarrier #doesn't make sense for ext2

commit=5  #doesn't make sense for ext2

abort  #call ext4_abort(), devel usage only, and it fails to put ext2 FS on RO,
       if this should be kept enabled, I can look why ext2 keep RW after its use

Let me know what you guys think.

Cheers

--
Carlos