Date:	Fri, 3 Jan 2014 11:16:02 +0800
From:	"Huang Weller (CM/ESW12-CN)" <Weller.Huang@...bosch.com>
To:	Theodore Ts'o <tytso@....edu>
CC:	"linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org" <linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org>,
	"Juergens Dirk (CM-AI/ECO2)" <Dirk.Juergens@...bosch.com>
Subject: RE: ext4 filesystem bad extent error review

Hi Ted,

>What I tell people who are using flash devices is before they start
>using any flash device, to do power drop testing on a raw device,
>without any file system present.  The simplest way to do this is to
>write a program that writes consecutive 4k blocks that contain a
>timestamp, a sequence number, some random data, and a CRC-32 checksum
>over the contents of the timestamp, sequence number, a flags word, and
>random data.  As the program writes such 4k block, it rolls the dice
>and once every 64 blocks or so (i.e., pick a random number, and see if
>it is divisible by 64), .....

It sounds like the barrier test. We wrote such kind test tool before, the test program used ioctl(fd, BLKFLSBUF, 0) to set a barrier before next write operation.
Do you think this ioctl is enough ? Because I saw the ext4 use it. I will do the test with that tool and then let you know the result.

More information about journal block which caused the bad extents error:
We enabled the mount option journal_checksum in our test.  We reproduced the same problem and the journal checksum is correct because the journal block will not be replayed if checksum is error.

Best Regards / Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Huang weiliang