Date:	Sun, 02 Feb 2014 20:35:26 +0400
From:	"Vitaliy Filippov" <vitalif@...rcmc.ru>
To:	linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org,
	"Bastien Traverse" <bastien.traverse@...il.com>
Subject: Re: mke2fs options for large media archive filesystem

Hi,

> b) bigalloc feature

As I understand (please correct me someone if I'm wrong), given that ext4
uses extents, bigalloc feature is really useful ONLY for minimizing block
bitmaps. Which is probably only useful for (maybe) reducing kernel memory
usage and for (maybe) reducing fragmentation. 'maybe' means I personally
don't know if benefit will be large enough, and I even don't know if there
would be any real benefit at all... I didn't see any real bigalloc tests
in the web...

So, I personally don't think you'll really benefit from bigalloc on a 1TB
archive partition... But I would like it very much if someone can tell an
authoritative verdict. :)

--
With best regards,
   Vitaliy Filippov