Date:	Thu, 6 Feb 2014 15:16:36 -0800 (PST)
From:	Mark Brown <ntdeveloper2002@...oo.com>
To:	Eric Sandeen <sandeen@...hat.com>
Cc:	linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Filesystem testing

Thanks for all the answers Eric:-)

I did have one question, and this was more related to ext3, and possible to xfstests.

Is there a test suite for ext3 that tests the various corruption issues, bugs that have been detected, and has other tests as well? Kind of a suite that is run everytime a change is made. I know its a question about a very old filesys, if I should direct my question elsewhere, do let me know. Maybe the generic in xfstests is enough for that, I couldnt find ext3 specific tests for the harness anywhere else. Is there a separate Redhat test suite (assuming ext3 was being maintained by RH)?

Is xfstests for ext4 basically used for ext4 for the question I asked about ext3 above?

Thanks.

On Wednesday, February 5, 2014 7:31 PM, Eric Sandeen <sandeen@...hat.com> wrote:
On 2/5/14, 9:12 PM, Mark Brown wrote:
> Thanks Eric.
>
> I am looking at the README here:
> http://oss.sgi.com/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=xfs/cmds/xfstests.git;a=blob_plain;f=README;hb=HEAD
>

> Is this what you are referring to? It doesnt seem to have much information about the tests.

Well, no, that's true.  There's no great summary of the tests; buit each test in tests/*/???
should have at least a brief description at the top.

There's also a tests/*/group file which has keywords for each test, so you can do
i.e. ./check -g stress to run all tests tagged with "stress"

> Should I look here?
> http://oss.sgi.com/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=xfs/cmds/xfstests.git;a=tree;f=tests;h=a8535b21d5b45a7653bc0f4e2774d3b94871ba2e;hb=HEAD

well, there you can see the entire history of changes, so ... sure!  :)

> I did have some questions:-)
>
> 1. Do the tests do operations other than the POSIX operations? I see
> different directories for xfs etc, which would imply it does some
> filesys specific calls?

yes; it's just a test harness, it can test whatever we like.

Some of the xfs tests do test xfs-specific operations.  Ditto for ext4 tests.
Other tests are more generic.

> 2. There are some other test tools like Iozone which have similar
> functionality. Wanted to understand what the differences would be, in
> using xfstests as opposed to them?

iozone is a benchmark, not a test suite.  It measures performance, not correctness.

> 3. is xfstests more of a test suite geared for developers? Is it something a QA org can use

Our QA organization makes good use of it, as do others.  So, sure.

And best of all it's open source so if your organization comes across
a bug, you can submit a testcase, and the bug should never(tm) happen again.

> 4. What I am looking for is a tool which I can use to stress the file
> system a lot, do different operations etc, and make sure the data
> written and metadata and the filesys itself is consistent by
> verifying it at the end. You mentioned testing IO failures as well
> and consistency is checked at the end. If you can point me to a few
> tests that do the stress test and IO failures for the generic case,
> that would really help, just to make sure i dont misunderstand the
> tests when I am looking through the sources.

Start by reading the tests themselves; for example, tests/generic/311:

# Run various fsync tests with dm flakey in freeze() mode and non freeze()
# mode. The idea is that we do random writes and randomly fsync and verify that
# after a fsync() followed by a freeze()+failure or just failure that the file
# is correct.  We remount the file system after the failure so that the file
# system can do whatever cleanup it needs to and md5sum the file to make sure
# it matches hat it was before the failure.  We also fsck to make sure the file
# system is consistent.

-Eric