Date:	Wed, 5 Feb 2014 19:12:45 -0800 (PST)
From:	Mark Brown <ntdeveloper2002@...oo.com>
To:	Eric Sandeen <sandeen@...hat.com>,
	"linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org" <linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: Filesystem testing

Thanks Eric.

I am looking at the README here:
http://oss.sgi.com/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=xfs/cmds/xfstests.git;a=blob_plain;f=README;hb=HEAD

Is this what you are referring to? It doesnt seem to have much information about the tests.

Should I look here?
http://oss.sgi.com/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=xfs/cmds/xfstests.git;a=tree;f=tests;h=a8535b21d5b45a7653bc0f4e2774d3b94871ba2e;hb=HEAD

I did have some questions:-)

1. Do the tests do operations other than the POSIX operations? I see different directories for xfs etc, which would imply it does some filesys specific calls?
2. There are some other test tools like Iozone which have similar functionality. Wanted to understand what the differences would be, in using xfstests as opposed to them?
3. is xfstests more of a test suite geared for developers? Is it something a QA org can use?
4. What I am looking for is a tool which I can use to stress the file system a lot, do different operations etc, and make sure the data written and metadata and the filesys itself is consistent by verifying it at the end. You mentioned testing IO failures as well and consistency is checked at the end. If you can point me to a few tests that do the stress test and IO failures for the generic case, that would really help, just to make sure i dont misunderstand the tests when I am looking through the sources.

Thanks:-)

On Wednesday, February 5, 2014 6:01 PM, Eric Sandeen <sandeen@...hat.com> wrote:
On 2/5/14, 5:20 PM, Mark Brown wrote:
> As an aside, I looked at xfstests, from what I could gather, it was
> started only for xfs, but there is ongoing work to make it work with
> ext4(and thus other posix FS?). If someone can point me to the
> documentation for xfstests and what it does, that would help. I could
> not find much.

xfstests has gone pretty far beyond just xfs at this point - it's seen
heavy use on ext2/3/4 as well as btrfs in the past several years.

There is a README in the git repo; did you have specific questions?

We have a lot of tests in there; some are general stress tests, some
are specific regression tests, and the body of tests is always growing.

Some test IO failures, as well.  File system consistency is checked after
each test.  Etc...

-Eric