Date:	Mon, 28 Apr 2014 20:21:51 +0400
From:	Dmitry Monakhov <dmonakhov@...nvz.org>
To:	"Darrick J. Wong" <darrick.wong@...cle.com>,
	Lukáš Czerner <lczerner@...hat.com>
Cc:	linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org, Theodore Ts'o <tytso@....edu>
Subject: Re: Proposal draft for data checksumming for ext4

On Thu, 20 Mar 2014 10:59:50 -0700, "Darrick J. Wong" <darrick.wong@...cle.com> wrote:
> [...]
> > to improve data integrity and increase protection against silent data
> > corruption while maintaining reasonable performance and usability of the
> > file system.
> >
> > While data checksums can be certainly used in different ways, for example
> > data deduplication this proposal is very much focused on data integrity.
> >

> > Checksum function
> > =================
> >
> > By default I plan to use crc32c checksum, but I do not see a reason why not
> > not to be able to support different checksum function. Also by default the
> > checksum size should be 32 bits, but the plan is to make the format
> > flexible enough to be able to support different checksum sizes.
>
> <nod> Were you thinking of allowing the use of different functions for data and
> metadata checksums?
>
> > Checksumming and Validating
> > ===========================
> >
> > On write checksums on the data blocks need to be computed right before its
> > bio is submitted and written out as metadata to its position (see bellow)
> > after the bio completes (similarly as we do unwritten extent conversion
> > today).
> >
> > Similarly on read checksums needs to be computed after the bio completes
> > and compared with the stored values to verify that the data is intact.
> >
> > All of this should be done using workqueues (Concurrency Managed
> > Workqueues) so we do not block the other operations and to spread the
> > checksum computation and comparison across CPUs. One wq for reads and one
> > for writes. Specific setup of the wq such as priority, or concurrency limits
> > should be decided later based on the performance evaluation.
> >
> > While we already have ext4 infrastructure to submit bios in
> > fs/ext4/page-io.c where the entry point is ext4_bio_write_page() we would
> > need the same for reads to be able to provide ext4 specific hooks for
> > io completion.
> >

> > Where to store the checksums
> > ============================
> >
> > While the problems above are pretty straightforward when it comes to the
> > design, actually storing and retrieving the data checksums from to/from
> > the ext4 format requires much more thought to be efficient enough and play
> > nicely with the overall ext4 design while trying not to be too intrusive.
> >
> > I came up with several ideas about where to store and how to access data
> > checksums. While some of the ideas might not be the most viable options,
> > it's still interesting to think about the advantages and disadvantages of
> > each particular solution.
> >
> > a) Static layout
> > ----------------
> >
> > This scheme fits perfectly into the ext4 design. Checksum blocks
> > would be preallocated the same way as we do with inode tables for example.
> > Each block group should have it's own contiguous region of checksum blocks
> > to be able to store checksums for bocks from entire block group it belongs
> > to. Each checksum block would contain header including checksum of the
Oh. The most thing that bother me about that feature is possible
performance degradation. number seeks increase dramatically because
csumblock is not continuous with datablock. Off course journal should
absorb that and real io will happen during journal checkpoint.
But I assumes that mail server which does a lot of
create()/write()/fsync() will complain about bad performance.

BTW: it looks like we do not try to optimize io pattern inside
jbd2_log_do_checkpoint(). For example __flush_batch() can submit
buffer in sorted order(according to block numbers).

> > We still have unused 4 Bytes in the ext4_group_desc structure, so storing
> > a block number for the checksum table should not be a problem.
>
> What if you have a 64bit filesystem?  Do you have some strategy in mind to work
> around that?  What about the snapshot exclusion bitmap field?  Afaict that
> never went in, so perhaps that field could be reused?
>
> > Finding a checksum location of each block in the block group should be done
> > in O(1) time, which is very good. Other advantage is a locality with the
> > data blocks in question since both resides in the same block group.
> >
> > Big disadvantage is the fact that this solution is not very flexibile which
> > comes from the fact that the location of "checksum table" is statically
> > located at a precise position in the file system at mkfs time.
>
> Having a big dumb block of checksums would be easier to prefetch from disk for
> fsck and kernel driver, rather than having to dig through some tree structure.
> (More on that below)
>
> > There are also other problems we should be concerned with. Ext4 file system
> > does have support for metadata checksumming so all the metadata does have
> > its own checksum. While we can avoid unnecessarily checksuming inodes, group
> > descriptors and basicall all statically positioned metadata, we still have
> > dynamically allocated metadata blocks such as extent blocks. These block
> > do not have to be checksummed but we would still have space reserved in the
> > checksum table.
>
> Don't forget directory blocks--they (should) have checksums too, so you can
> skip those.
Just quick note: We can hide checksum for directory inside
ext4_dir_entry_2 for a special dirs '.' or '..' simply be increasing
->rec_len which make this feature compatible with older FS