Date:	Thu, 28 May 2015 11:43:56 -0600
From:	Andreas Dilger <adilger@...ger.ca>
To:	Jan Kara <jack@...e.cz>
Cc:	Rob Harris <rob.harris@...il.com>, linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Custom driver FS brokenness at 4GB?

On May 28, 2015, at 4:59 AM, Jan Kara <jack@...e.cz> wrote:

> On Wed 27-05-15 09:56:29, Rob Harris wrote:
>> Greetings. I have an odd issue and need some ideas of where to go
>> next -- I'm out of hair to rip out.
>>
>> I'm writing a custom block device driver talking to some custom RAID
>> hardware (>32TB) using DMA scatter-gather, with no partitions and am
>> using make_request() to service all the BIO requests to simplify
>> debugging. I have the driver working to the point where using DD
>> against the block device seems to work fine (I'm setting
>> iflag|oflag=direct to ensure it's writing to the disk). I also have
>> the blk_queue set to only request a single 4k I/O per BIO (again to
>> simplify debugging for now.) Also, again to debug, I have a mutex
>> wrapping the entire make_request call to ensure that only a single
>> request is being serviced at a time. So, this should be as "simple"
>> as I can make the environment to debug this problem.
>>
>> Once the driver is loaded, when I try to create a file system (ext4
>> but the same thing happens with xfs) it seems like there is some
>> corruption occurring, but only when I set the sector size of the
>> block device over 4GB. For instance, when I set the size to 4G, I
>> can mkfs.ext4, but after 2 or 3 mount/umounts the FS refuses to
>> mount anymore and the kernel log complains that the journal is
>> missing. This was discovered running this loop...
>  Hard to tell exactly but with 4GB being 32-bit limit, I would first look
> for some int / unsigned int number overflow. You could possibly better
> debug this when writing some pattern via DD that is different for each
> block to verify that each block indeed lands in the expected location...

We have a tool "llverdev" which does exactly this - write a pattern
to each block in the block device (or in sparse regions covering the
device) with a timestamp and block number to track down sources of
block addressing errors:

http://git.hpdd.intel.com/fs/lustre-release.git/blob/HEAD:/lustre/utils/llverdev.c

Cheers, Andreas

Cheers, Andreas