Date:	Tue, 27 Oct 2015 10:55:17 -0700
From:	Nikhilesh Reddy <reddyn@...eaurora.org>
To:	Theodore Ts'o <tytso@....edu>
CC:	linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Running XFS tests on qemu

On Fri 23 Oct 2015 02:34:28 AM PDT, Theodore Ts'o wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 22, 2015 at 11:33:50PM -0700, Nikhilesh Reddy wrote:
>> Hi Ted
>>
>> Can you please help point me to instructions to setup and run xfs tests for
>> ext4 to run on a local qemu installation from scratch?
>
> https://git.kernel.org/cgit/fs/ext2/xfstests-bld.git/tree/quick-start?h=META
>
> I haven't tried to make this work for qemu for arm (which I assume
> you'd be more interested in), but if you do, please let me know.  Also
> note that I *do* have changes to build xfstests for android / bionic.
> The build infrastructure is in the xfstests-bld git tree; however,
> some of the changes to xfstests and xfsprogs haven't been accepted
> upstream yet, but let me know if you are interested and I'll get you
> the patches that haven't yet been accepted.
>
> What's missing is the automation to talk to an Android device; I
> ultimately fixed the bug I was chasing via other means.
> (Unfortunately the USB-C device that was supposedly able to power a
> Macbook Pro as well as connecting to a USB-attached SSD didn't work
> against a Nexus 5X, and so I never finished getting xfstests running
> on Android, although 95% of the work should be done.).
>
> The two other missing pieces was getting upstream fio working on
> Android/bionic (although there is a fio is the AOSP tree which should
> work), and IIRC there were one or two fixup patches that I needed
> against the bleeding-edge tip of coreutils so it would work with the
> latest Android NDK.  They were pretty obvious, but if you want I can
> dig up the changes from my tree.
>
> Finally, if you are doing x86-based development, you might be
> interested in using Google Compute Engine to run your tests.  I do
> must of my testinng on GCE these days, beacuse it's much faster and I
> can run multiple tests in parallel.
>
> https://git.kernel.org/cgit/fs/ext2/xfstests-bld.git/tree/kvm-xfstests/README.GCE
>
> Cheers,
>
> 						- Ted

Sorry for the delayed reply ... been crazy busy!

*Thanks so much ted ! you are really awesome!*

.. Yes i am trying to get these on both Android ( and run some kind of
automation)  and an Arm Qemu for development.
I would be grateful if you can share the patches that  fix the issues
that are known.... even if they are not fully functional ...

I can try to see if I can finish the automation part and send the
patches assuming i can finish them before you do :)

Yes i will look into GCE as well.

--
Thanks
Nikhilesh Reddy

Qualcomm Innovation Center, Inc.
The Qualcomm Innovation Center, Inc. is a member of the Code Aurora
Forum,
a Linux Foundation Collaborative Project.