Date:	Tue, 17 May 2016 17:46:15 -0700
From:	Kamran Khan <krkhan@...pirated.com>
To:	linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Difference in jbd2 behavior between CentOS and Ubuntu while unmounting

I'm trying to understand the difference in jbd2 behavior across Ubuntu
14.04 and Centos 7.1. Will appreciate any help.

The uber goal is to resize the root filesystem without a reboot.
Basically, all the necessary files are copied to a tmpfs, a pivot_root
is performed then the old root is unmounted.

On Ubuntu 14.04, after the old processes are killed I verify that no
processes are holding handles to oldroot.

> root@...han-ubuntu:~# fuser -vm /oldroot
>                      USER        PID ACCESS COMMAND
> /oldroot:            root     kernel mount /oldroot

jbd2 is still running:

> root@...han-ubuntu:~# lsof | grep sda1
> jbd2/sda1  176            root  cwd       DIR               0,19      340          2 /
> jbd2/sda1  176            root  rtd       DIR               0,19      340          2 /
> jbd2/sda1  176            root  txt   unknown                                        /proc/176/exe
> root@...han-ubuntu:~# ps -f -p 176
> UID        PID  PPID  C STIME TTY          TIME CMD
> root       176     2  0 17:19 ?        00:00:00 [jbd2/sda1-8]

I can unmount the filesystem and do an fsck:

> root@...han-ubuntu:~# umount /oldroot
> root@...han-ubuntu:~# e2fsck -yf /dev/sda1
> /dev/sda1: 64967/1831424 files (0.1% non-contiguous), 480018/7323904 blocks

jbd2 does *not* hold a handle to the now unmounted filesystem:

> root@...han-ubuntu:~# lsof | grep sda1
> root@...han-ubuntu:~#

All good.

On CentOS 7.1, I verify that no processed are holding handle to oldroot.

> [root@...han-centos ~]# fuser -vm /oldroot
>                      USER        PID ACCESS COMMAND
> /oldroot:            root     kernel mount /oldroot

I can successfully unmount the filesystem but can't fsck it:

> [root@...han-centos ~]# umount /oldroot
> [root@...han-centos ~]# e2fsck -yf /dev/sda1
> e2fsck 1.42.9 (28-Dec-2013)
> /dev/sda1 is in use.
> e2fsck: Cannot continue, aborting.

/dev/sda1 does not appear in /proc/mounts. Looks like jbd2 is the only
thing that looks like it still cares about sda1:

> [root@...han-centos ~]# lsof | grep sda1
> jbd2/sda1  394      root  cwd       DIR               0,14       340      22591 /
> jbd2/sda1  394      root  rtd       DIR               0,14       340      22591 /
> jbd2/sda1  394      root  txt   unknown                                         /proc/394/exe
> [root@...han-centos ~]# ps -f -p 394
> UID        PID  PPID  C STIME TTY          TIME CMD
> root       394     2  0 00:15 ?        00:00:00 [jbd2/sda1-8]

What I'm confused about is, why is the behavior different even though
journaling is _enabled_ in *both* cases?

On Ubuntu:

> root@...han-ubuntu:~# dumpe2fs /dev/sda1 | grep features
> dumpe2fs 1.42.9 (4-Feb-2014)
> Filesystem features:      has_journal ext_attr resize_inode dir_index filetype extent flex_bg sparse_super large_file huge_file uninit_bg dir_nlink extra_isize
> Journal features:         journal_incompat_revoke

On CentOS:

> [root@...han-centos ~]# dumpe2fs /dev/sda1 | grep features
> dumpe2fs 1.42.9 (28-Dec-2013)
> Filesystem features:      has_journal ext_attr resize_inode dir_index filetype needs_recovery extent 64bit flex_bg sparse_super large_file huge_file uninit_bg dir_nlink extra_isize
> Journal features:         journal_incompat_revoke journal_64bit

Any ideas?

Thanks,
--
Kamran.