Date:	Thu, 2 Jun 2016 10:58:40 +0200
From:	Jan Kara <jack@...e.cz>
To:	Eryu Guan <guaneryu@...il.com>
Cc:	Theodore Ts'o <tytso@....edu>, Eryu Guan <eguan@...hat.com>,
	linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org, Jan Kara <jack@...e.cz>
Subject: Re: xfstests generic/130 hang with non-4k block size ext4 on 4.7-rc1
 kernel

On Thu 02-06-16 00:58:00, Eryu Guan wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 01, 2016 at 02:38:22PM +0800, Eryu Guan wrote:

> > > Hmm, it's not reproducing for me, either using your simplified repro
> > > or generic/130.  Is there something specific with your kernel config,
> > > which is needed for the reproduction, perhaps?
> >
> > That's weird, it's easily reproduced for me on different hosts/guests.
> > The kernel config I'm using is based on the config from RHEL7.2 kernel,
> > leaving all new config options to their default choices. i.e
> >
> > cp /boot/<config-rhel7.2> ./.config && yes "" | make oldconfig && make
> >
> > I attached my kernel config file.
> >
> > And my test vm has 8G memory & 4 vcpus, with RHEL7.2 installed running
> > upstream kernel, host is RHEL6.7. xfsprogs version 3.2.2 (shipped with
> > RHEL7.2) and version 4.5.0 (compiled from upstream) made no difference.
> >
> > I think I can try configs from other venders such as SuSE, Ubuntu. If
> > you can share your config file I'll test it as well.
>
> I've tried kernel config from Ubuntu 16.04, and I can reproduce the hang
> as well. If I add "-o data=journal" or "-o data=writeback" mount option,
> I don't see the hang. So seems it only happens in data=ordered mode,
> which matches the code change in commit 06bd3c36a733, I think.

Yeah, so this is what I kind of expected. From the backtraces you have
provided it is clear that:

1) There is process (xfs_io) doing O_SYNC write. That is blocked waiting
for transaction commit when it entered fsync path.

2) jbd2 thread is blocked waiting for PG_Writeback to be cleared - this
happens only in data=ordered mode.

But what is not clear to me is: Why PG_Writeback doesn't get cleared for
the page? It should get cleared once the IO that was submitted completes...
Also how my change can trigger the problem - we have waited for
PG_Writeback in data=ordered mode even before. What my patch did is that we
are now avoiding filemap_fdatawrite() call before the filemap_fdatawait()
call. So I suspect this is a race that has always been there and the new
faster code path is just tickling it in your setup.

I'll try to reproduce this problem in my setup (but my kvm instance fails
to boot with 4.7-rc1 so I'm debugging that currently) and if I succeed,
I'll debug this more. If I'm unable to reproduce this, I'll need you to
debug why the IO for that page does not complete. Probably attaching to the
hung kvm guest with gdb and looking through it is the simplest in that
case. Thanks for your report!

								Honza
--
Jan Kara <jack@...e.com>