Date:	Mon, 8 Aug 2016 20:28:27 +0200
From:	Jan Kara <jack@...e.cz>
To:	"Boylston, Brian" <brian.boylston@....com>
Cc:	Jan Kara <jack@...e.cz>, Dave Chinner <david@...morbit.com>,
	"Kani, Toshimitsu" <toshi.kani@....com>,
	"linux-nvdimm@...ts.01.org" <linux-nvdimm@...ts.01.org>,
	"xfs@....sgi.com" <xfs@....sgi.com>,
	"linux-fsdevel@...r.kernel.org" <linux-fsdevel@...r.kernel.org>,
	"linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org" <linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org>,
	Ross Zwisler <ross.zwisler@...ux.intel.com>
Subject: Re: Subtle races between DAX mmap fault and write path

On Mon 08-08-16 12:30:18, Boylston, Brian wrote:
> Jan Kara wrote on 2016-08-08:

> >> Here are some numbers for a particular scenario, and the code is below.
> >>
> >> Time (in seconds) to copy a 16KiB buffer 1M times to a 4MiB NVDIMM buffer
> >> (1M total memcpy()s).  For the cached+clflush case, the flushes are done
> >> every 4MiB (which seems slightly faster than flushing every 16KiB):
> >>
> >>                   NUMA local    NUMA remote
> >> Cached+clflush      13.5           37.1
> >> movnt                1.0            1.3
> >
> > Thanks for the test Brian. But looking at the current source of libpmem
> > this seems to be comparing apples to oranges. Let me explain the details
> > below:
> >
> >> In the code below, pmem_persist() does the CLFLUSH(es) on the given range,
> >> and pmem_memcpy_persist() does non-temporal MOVs with an SFENCE:
> >
> > Yes. libpmem does what you describe above and the name
> > pmem_memcpy_persist() is thus currently misleading because it is not
> > guaranteed to be persistent with the current implementation of DAX in
> > the kernel.
> >
> > It is important to know which kernel version and what filesystem have you
> > used for the test to be able judge the details but generally pmem_persist()
> > does properly tell the filesystem to flush all metadata associated with the
> > file, commit open transactions etc. That's the full cost of persistence.
>
> I used NVML 1.1 for the measurements.  In this version and with the hardware
> that I used, the pmem_persist() flow is:
>
>   pmem_persist()
>     pmem_flush()
>       Func_flush() == flush_clflush
>         CLFLUSH
>     pmem_drain()
>       Func_predrain_fence() == predrain_fence_empty
>         no-op
>
> So, I don't think that pmem_persist() does anything to cause the filesystem
> to flush metadata as it doesn't make any system calls?

Ah, you are right. I somehow misread what is in NVML sources. I agree with
Christoph that _persist suffix is then misleading for the reasons he stated
but that's irrelevant to the test you did.

So it indeed seems that in your test movnt + sfence is an order of
magnitude faster than cached memcpy + cflush + sfence. I'm surprised I have
to say.

> > At which point
> > you've lost most of the advantages using movnt. Ross researches into
> > possibilities of allowing more efficient userspace implementation but
> > currently there are none.
>
> Apart from the current performance discussion, if the metadata for a file
> is already established (file created, space allocated by explicit writes(),
> and everything synced), then if I map it and do pmem_memcpy_persist(),
> are there any "ongoing" metadata updates that would need to be flushed
> (besides timestamps)?

As Christoph wrote, currently there is no way for userspace to know and
filesystem may be doing all sorts of interesting stuff underneath that
userspace doesn't know about. The only obligation filesystem has is that in
response to fsync() it has to make sure all the data written before fsync()
is visible after a crash...

								Honza
--
Jan Kara <jack@...e.com>