Date:	Sun, 14 Aug 2016 12:50:49 +0200
From:	Michal Hocko <mhocko@...nel.org>
To:	Dave Chinner <david@...morbit.com>
Cc:	arekm@...en.pl, linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org, linux-mm@...ck.org
Subject: Re: 4.7.0, cp -al causes OOM

On Sat 13-08-16 11:42:59, Dave Chinner wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 12, 2016 at 09:44:55AM +0200, Michal Hocko wrote:
> > > [...]
> > >
> > > LRU 32%

> > > slab 61%
> > >
> > > [...]
> > >
> > > That being said it is really unusual to see such a large kernel memory
> > > foot print. The slab memory consumption grows but it doesn't seem to be
> > > a memory leak at first glance.
>
> >From discussions on #xfs, it's the ext4 inode slab that is consuming
> most of this memory. Which, of course, is expected when running
> a workload that is creating millions of lots of hardlinks.
>
> AFAICT, the difference between XFS and ext4 in this case is that XFS
> throttles direct reclaim to the synchronous inode reclaim rate in
> its custom inode cache shrinker. This is necessary because when we
> are dirtying large numbers of inodes, memory reclaim encounters
> those dirty inodes and can't reclaim them immediately. i.e. it takes
> IO to reclaim them, just like it does for dirty pages.

OK, I see. Thanks for the clarification. This also sounds like a reason
why the compaction fails for this setup. The available reclaimable LRU
pages are probably not sufficient to form order-2 pages. But that would
require more debugging data.

> However, we throttle the rate at which we dirty pages to prevent
> filling memory with unreclaimable dirty pages as that causes
> spurious OOM situations to occur. The same spurious OOM situations
> occur when memory is full of dirty inodes, and so allocation rate
> throttling is needed for large scale inode cache intersive workloads
> like this as well....

Is there any generic way to do this throttling or every fs has to
implement its own way?

Thanks!
--
Michal Hocko