Date:   20 Jan 2017 12:57:23 -0500
From:   "George Spelvin" <linux@...encehorizons.net>
To:     linux@...encehorizons.net, tytso@....edu
Cc:     jack@...e.cz, linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Ext4 deadlock (+lockdep splat) during rsync

> Those bugs look like they are very separate in that they have nothing
> to do with locking, but rather in e2fsck and the kernel not properly
> dealing with certain types of inconsistencies on disk.  On my list to
> deal with.  As a workaround, you can just clri the offending corrupted
> inode from lost+found and then run e2fsck.

Yes, that's fairly obvious, but I've avoided that for a few reasons:
1) I was holding on to the broken inodes in case you needed more information
   that I didn't include in the initial report,
2) I also thought they might be wanted to test an eventual fix, and
3) I was probably going to get a bit fancier to preserve the file names.

My latest report is a bit confusing because debugfs() reads the
directories without complaint, so I'm not sure it's a valid on-disk
situation that the kernel is improperly rejecting, or an invaid situation
that libext2fs is improperly accepting.

Since I don't currently understand the on-disk format of inline data,
(I need to RTFS), I can't figure that out or see if there's a way
to do a repair in situ.

Oh!  Found it at
https://ext4.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Ext4_Disk_Layout#Inline_Data

So I'm guessing the problem is that the required empty system.data
attribute is missing (due to the preceding extra_isize changing mess),
and if I just created it, everything would magically come back to life.

Something like ea_set <inode> system.data ""