Date:   Thu, 7 Sep 2017 19:31:09 -0400
From:   Ruoxin Jiang <rj2394@...umbia.edu>
To:     "Theodore Ts'o" <tytso@....edu>
Cc:     linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org, Suman Jana <sumanj@...il.com>
Subject: Re: Ext4 Bug Report

Hi Ted,

Thank you for your prompt reply! The Linux kernel we tested against is
Linux 4.13.0-rc6, and the current latest version is 4.13.0-rc7.

We totally agree with your assessment on non-standard flags. As you
pointed out, the O_DIRECT flag is documented in Linux man page but not
in POSIX specification (and we should have checked this). Even for
some documented flags, the POSIX specification does not list their
behavior completely or clearly.

We believe it's beneficial to maintain consistency among different
filesystems, so that developers on one filesystem won't bring the
wrong expectation to work on a different one. The consistency can also
prevent some potential semantic bugs.

Thanks for explaining the matter and we hope our findings could help
with your future development on ext4 :)

Best,
Amy

--
Ruoxin(Amy) Jiang
Columbia University, M.S. Computer Science