Date:   Mon, 25 Sep 2017 13:57:15 +0200
From:   Lukas Czerner <lczerner@...hat.com>
To:     Jaco Kroon <jaco@....co.za>
Cc:     linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org, Theodore Ts'o <tytso@....edu>
Subject: Re: fragmentation optimization

On Sat, Sep 23, 2017 at 09:49:25AM +0200, Jaco Kroon wrote:
> Hi Ted, Everyone,
>
> During our last discussions you mentioned the following (2017/08/16 5:06
> SAST/GMT+2):
>
> "One other thought.  There is an ext4 block allocator optimization
> "feature" which is biting us here.  At the moment we have an
> optimization where if there is small "hole" in the logical block
> number space, we leave a "hole" in the physical blocks allocated to
> the file."
>
> You proceeded to provide the example regarding writing of object files as
> per binutils (ld specifically).
>
> As per the data I provided you previously rsync (with --sparse) is
> generating a lot of "holes" for us due to this.  As a result I end up with a
> rather insane amount of fragmentation:
>
> Blocksize: 4096 bytes
> Total blocks: 13153337344
> Free blocks: 1272662587 (9.7%)
>
> Min. free extent: 4 KB
> Max. free extent: 17304 KB
> Avg. free extent: 44 KB
> Num. free extent: 68868260
>
> HISTOGRAM OF FREE EXTENT SIZES:
> Extent Size Range :  Free extents   Free Blocks  Percent
>     4K...    8K-  :      28472490      28472490    2.24%
>     8K...   16K-  :      27005860      55030426    4.32%
>    16K...   32K-  :       2595993      14333888    1.13%
>    32K...   64K-  :       2888720      32441623    2.55%
>    64K...  128K-  :       2745121      62071861    4.88%
>   128K...  256K-  :       2303439     103166554    8.11%
>   256K...  512K-  :       1518463     134776388   10.59%
>   512K... 1024K-  :        902691     163108612   12.82%
>     1M...    2M-  :        314858     105445496    8.29%
>     2M...    4M-  :         97174      64620009    5.08%
>     4M...    8M-  :         22501      28760501    2.26%
>     8M...   16M-  :           945       2069807    0.16%
>    16M...   32M-  :             5         21155    0.00%

Hi,

looking at the data like this is not really giving me much enlightment
on what's going on. You're only left with less than 10% of free space
and that alone might play some role in your fragmentation. Filefrag
might give us better picture.

Also, I do not see any mention of how this hurts you exactly ? There is
going to be some cost associated with processing bigger extent tree,
or reading fragmented file from disk. However, do you have any data
backing this up ?

One other thing you could try is to use --preallocate for rsync. This
should preallocate entire file size, before writing into it. It should
help with fragmentation. This also has a sideeffect of ext4 using another
optimization where instead of splitting the extent when leaving a hole in
the file it will write zeroes to fill the gap instead. The maximum size
of the hole we're going to zeroout can be configured by
/sys/fs/ext4/<device>/extent_max_zeroout_kb. By default this is 32kB.

-Lukas